Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night a couple of older business types come into the bar, drunk. They have a drink and leave...I notice a briefcase on a stool where they were sitting. It's a designer "Ducati" case. I check it, full of work papers etc. I set it aside for a couple of hours. I know these guys were too drunk to remember where they left it. So, one of the local PD drives buy an hour or so later, it's around 2am now. I flag him down, explain the situation, give him the briefcase cause they looked kind of important, case looks expensive, I don't want it sitting around the bar.

So...today I get a phone call from my boss. Turns out the brief case did not belong to the two guys, it belongs to the brother of a friend of his, some guy that works with the Ambassador to Montenegro (sp). He was in with some buddies drinking until about 3am last night. And guess what....the case had a gram and a half of blow in it. PD tracks him down from info in the case and arrest him.

I kinda feel bad for the guy....kinda don't. He brought drugs into our place of business...got drunk, lost them, got caught. My boss doesn't give a crap, said he hopes I'd do the same thing again in the same situation.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
dude brought blow into your "home" and you feel sorry for him? I wouldn't. When I used to work bars people who soiled my "house" were the lowest scum of the earth and I was not kind to them. the only thng I am sorry for is that this guy had a casual connection to you in some way and was not a total stanger patron.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
yeah but I'm not about calling the police

learned it is always best to keep them as far out of my business as possible

I also couldn't care less how many people want to do drugs, drink, ride over their skill level.... whatever

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
There is a big difference between calling the police and working in a bar and flagging the cop down. From my expirence just by being a bar you get all sorts of undue cop attention anyway - bad things happen in bars it is just a way of life. the patrons come and go but the cops will always bee there, if you are kind and work with them they are kind and cut you all kinds of breaks, if you treat them like outsiders they look for reasons to bust you. I am not a fan of beat cops from personal expirence but I am also not about to bring down the thunder that comes with pissing one off. "flagging" down a cop when you work in a bar can usually be as simple as walking outside and just talking to the one camping around your place anyway.

That being said it wasn't like Johnny knew there was blow in the breifcase and handed it over anyway...he thought he was doing the right thing. There is no point in making him feel bad about it.

I think it sends the right message to do what johnny did, shows he is willing to work with them and they will more than likely leave him alone. I am not mistaken he lives in a pretty small town anyway so this isn't the same as busting a local where they are now going to turn up the heat on patroling that bar. Chances are they will probably cut him a lot more slack now.

it is a whole different ballgame when you work in SIN, and until you have dragged a half naked hooker across a crowded barroom floor by her ankles and out to the street in a hells kitchen irish dive you can't really fully appreciate how much police presence there is....(and maybe if y'all are good I'll tell you that story sometime).

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I had the typical mistrust of the police when I was younger but no such much anymore. There are power trip idiots certainly, but I've met enough good ones to more than offset that. Their job makes them interact constantly with people doing bad shit so I've no doubt that makes it tough.
I had this really wierd situation with a cop here who waved me over one day while I was on my bicycle. He had a "ticket book" for free ice cream cone certificates that were meant for kids who were wearing their helmets. The poor guy was trying to do something nice but the way he was stumbling over his words gave me the impression he didn't deal with people much who wern't breaking the law. I kind of felt sorry for him.
Hack, I agree to a certain extent about somebody being able to do whatever they want in the comfort of their own home as long as they assume all the responsibility.

JohnnyB- I would have done the same as you, you were just trying to help the guy out. He F'd himself

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
everything said by mr. bfd...couldn't have said it better. i hope i get an ice cream ticket. i always where my helmet. except i'm off ice cream to stay ahead of branson when he joins me on the track. used to be a "single serving pint" of hagan daz per day guy but the fifth decade thing now keeps it out of my house.
-parks

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Believe me, we have a zero tolerance for drugs in our place. We know plenty of people that do them, and we don't care what they do outside our place, but they all know to never bring anything into the bar. That's our living, that's how we pay our bills and put food on the table. You threaten that and you'll never see the inside again.

The bottom line...I would have given the bag to the cops even if I DID know there was drugs in it..... but only because I didn't know who it belonged to. If I had know these people had some connection to the boss, both myself and the boss would have had a talk with them and handled it privately.

I won't go out of my way to get someone busted, but you bring drugs in our place and you take what you get. Stupid enough to leave your shit laying in our place...well you deserve whatever happens.

We typically have a very good relationship with the police...we are kind of the local "cop bar". Lots of off duty guys drink there, former and future cops have worked there etc.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
My uncle's a retired cop, and a Blue Knight. Every couple years, my wife & I meet him in Toronto for his chapter's Toyride. The highlight of the visit is always the post-toyride stop at "The Shed", the police association's clubhouse (for lack of a better term - it's part union hall, part tavern). Man, those motherfukcers drink - a lot.

I live 3 doors from my small town police department, and from years of waving at them as they're driving past my house, all the cops know who I am, who my wife is, what we drive, etc. One of them, now retired, was a tattoed motorcyclist who raced a Triumph in the 70s. I've always been treated VERY fairly by them - gotten out of a couple tickets, at least. They have a tough job to do, they're underpaid, and recieve a lot of disrespect. A little friendliness and respect goes a long way. It's going to be great (for me, anyway) when my kids are teenagers, and every cop in town knows who they are, what they drive, where they live, and who they belong to.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
are you a future cop?
all those shenanigans in your town..."then came branson".
-parks
ps...you could carry a big stick or something.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think there's a <huge> difference between small towns and cops and big cities and cops. Both in people's attitude towards the cops and the cops attitude towards the people, and the way we all interact with each other.

I grew up in a small town on the coast of Oregon and almost all the cops were either brothers or uncles or dads of kids my age. They'd pull up next to us at a stop light and tell us we needed to go somewhere, get off the road and calm down. When we'd throw attitude at them they'd come back with "you boys better listen or we'll pull you over and pour out all your beer... " "What beer - we don't have any beer..." "Uh-huh - just go somewhere..." "ok..."

Sorry to hear about the situation JB - I'd have done the same thing and I'd have felt about the same way after. Mixed.

I've got a great story about drunken cowboys, small town sheriff and incredible tolerance from eastern Idaho too.

Michael

1 - 11 of 11 Posts