1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
453 Posts
they were going to modify the frame so you could take off the valve cover without pulling the motor is what it looks like. the supports get pulled and the 2 lower tubes get cut and sleeved so they can be unbolted. just make sure the welds go all the way around and be sure to get rid of all the rust and coat it good.

fat people are harder to kidnap

Edited by - fuzzybutt on Jul 23 2007 9:58:36 PM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Ok those welds are what fuzzy said they are but I have more to add to the puzzle.

Drag racers in the 70's used to remove those pieces entirely because the frame only flexes laterally in a turn and in a straight line they did no suffer any ill effects. To them it was more important to be able to get the valve cover off between round than the amount of flex the frame suffered. some privateer roadracers also made crude setups so you could unbolt those rails and bolt them back in.

Those welds are not as dangerous as you think they are but if you are going to ride it hard you need something sturdier. plenty of street chopper guys get rid of them all together and reinforce the neck so don't worry you are not riding the worlds biggest death trap.

The solution is to get a frame kit from gordon (Ilbikes) on the SOHC4.us forum. He sells a kit (approx $200) that allows you to bolt and unbolt those rails without suffering any frame flex. I have one of his kits and it is the cat's meow, a really professional piece that makes the bike so much easier to work on.

here is a step by step installation for the frame kit so you have an idea of what is involved:

http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=20260.0

by far the way to go. Considering the frequency with which cb750s blow valve cover gaskets (it is not uncommon) it is worth it, even more so if you are going to run a hot engine/camshaft in your ride.

BTW, given any thought to my offer for the tank and sidecover?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told the bike has a "racing" cam in it, so maybe that has something to do with it, if thats what you mean by hot engine cam shaft.

the welds dont go all the way around, you can see in the pics i put up how the top to welds are just on the out side, the lower two look ok and are pretty solid, but its still probably worth getting the kit.

My CB750 Project:
http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4739

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Geeto, for the moment I think im gonna keep the tank and side covers. I really want to ride some by the end of the summer and I dont think im gonna come across a tank before then.

I really wanna lose the side covers and move my battery box, oil tank, electric etc.. but I just don know what ill have time for.

Thanks again

My CB750 Project:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
HEY those parts are only going to sit in Geetos museum of bike parts and bikes.So you should use them and when your done Geeto will still buy them.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
yeah dude, don't worry about me...ride the bike. just whenever you are ready....

edit: BTW bull I don't own a museum, I wish I did but I don't. the reason I am lusting after that tank is I have a candy bacchus olive tank that I accidently screwed up pretty bad (too bad, it was a virgin tank too).

BTW kawi, your bike is a 73 not a 72. the neck probably lists a 72 build date because the factories start construction of the next year's model right around march/april of the year before.

Edited by - geeto67 on Jul 24 2007 09:54:22 AM

·
Registered
453 Posts
geeto, that sohc forum is great! i have a frame kit coming when theyre ready!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Geeto I would be willing to trade the tank for a black one. If i keep the tank im gonna sand it down and have it painted anyway. If you are looking for that color green and you have a black one then that would be great.

Or if any body else has a black tank that will fit let me know, trade or sale. Id like something a little beat up. No major dents or rust just "antique". Same thing goes for the side covers.

thanks

My CB750 Project:

·
Registered
453 Posts
i have a 750k tank in flat black, one very very small ding in it. if i decide to use the f bike tank maybe we can do a deal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts