Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
What a weekend. Weather was perfect. Kick ass track with blind entrances and difficult braking points. I think Rabbie won a bunch of stuff or podiumed. He won sidecars both days. Phil Turk did well podiumed. Not sure about Dave Evans. The NY crew did well in Bears. Roper took 4th in Premier. Joyce kicked butt in about 5 or 6 classes. Nichols took BEARS on Saturday and Sunda I think.
Not sure about Aron A. Saw him rolling in practice on his Ducati and was going very well.
I got to passenger for a West Coast rider and duke it out against BFD and AHRMA bigwig Will Harding as pasenger. We had a great time battling for 3rd place. I had only been a passenger one other time for all of 15 minutes so it was exciting for me.
I had some respectable 5th place finishes on my BMW in BEARS and the Airhead races.
Joe Ruth schooled some regulars on his RD350 during Fridays practice, but had an engine failure that kept him out of races. Bummer as I'm sure he would have placed well.
BFD made huge gains on his 200GP bike that saw him run in 15 in a field of 29 bikes!
Not sure about anyone else as I really didn't get to watch a lot of races.
Make plans now for next year as there is speculation of limiting the entries due to the growth of the Festival the past 3 years. ARHMA ia a class act BTW. No problems signing up, registering and rolling through Tech. Very Smooth run organization.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
On a sad happening of the event;

R.I.P.: BOTT Founder Dwaine Williams
Oct 23, 2007

From a Press Release

Racer Dwaine Williams, 71, the man who founded the original Batttle Of The Twins (BOTT) class in AMA Pro Racing, suffered fatal injuries during an AHRMA race at Barber Motorsports Park Saturday.

In a crash that was similar to the one that killed young gun Connor LaFrance last month at Barber, Williams ran off the outside of the track approaching the back-straight chicane, hit and flopped over on top of a steel barrier, and slid into a support post, suffering fatal head injuries.

Prior to the fatal incidents involved LaFrance and Williams, the location where they crashed was not considered a likely impact zone or crash site.

Jeff

·
Registered
66 Posts
Very sad and tragic about Dwaine. Really sobering.

Practice went really well...beat last years best lap time in the first three laps. I got crushed like a grape in 500 premeire as expected on Saturday, died on the grid in 350 from overheating (broke my heart). Still haven't figured out why it overheats so quickly. Sunday's 350 went well, with a fourth place behind Roper. The first race got red flagged (exactly like last year)...barely made it to the re-start, but got great starts each time, picking my way through the Airheads and I thought it went well. Was doing pretty consistent 1:58s (had one 1:58.01). Almost crashed on the cool down lap (again) by missing a shift and killing the engine going into turn 1. Grassy excursion, rolling by a wrongly black flagged Andrew Anderson. Gave him a nod and headed on my way thinking the race was still on. The guy I just beat to the finish line must have thought I was crazy...

Got the news about Dwaine right before my 500 Premeire race. Kinda shook me, but I went out anyway just to have my woodruff key blow out again like at Loudon - no clutch. Ah well...I had one good race.

Barber and AHRMA really make this event a must do for me. Tragedy aside, a great way to end the season.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
what is up with that key??!!

way to go dude. sorry to hear about the mixed results but sounds like you guys had tons of fun.

whats overheating?
hows that honda comming?? :)

jc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts