Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I am planning on staying off of any motorcycle after September 15th. I want to stay healthy this year for my trip to Barber. You racing Champ?

Craig

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
craig, i'm doing the swap meet. 1st time there and i'm looking forward to visiting the facility I hear its the bomb!!!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
BFD, Hornetboy and I are making plans to go again this year.
Champ, You are going to love it. Smaller scale swap meet than Ohio but the track and facility is way better.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I thought the girls carrying trays of jello shots around the pits was a nice touch. Sorry Champ, they didn't go out to the swap meet area.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bfd, i'll have my own southern style hospitality!! i'll have umbrella girls in my booth handing out condoms and budweiser. what happens in birmingham stays in birmingham. any way i'll be muching off of yous guys in the pits and bouncing around like a kid in a candy shop or an old man in a sex shop!!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Champ,

Try your best to get to visit the museum. It is definitly worth it.

But, I don't remember seeing a Motobi there.......

Jack

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Just a reminder for the procrastinators, like myself. Today is the deadline for entry at Barber. There's no post entry for this race.

bfd,jeff, and hornetboy - you guys still going? Champ - still selling stuff? Anybody else going to be there?

Craig

·
Registered
25 Posts
Team Fat Bastard will be there.

Great facility, great event.

One last chance to see everybody before going into hibernation/rebuild mode for the offseason.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hornetboy is out. It's hard to get good help these days.

BFD and I are still going, but he's playing rockstar and flying directly to France from Birmingham.

I had a couple of days to spare on my registration. BEARS and the BMW airhead races Saturday and Sunday.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I plan to attend, as a spectator with a 72 CB350 looking for advice on how to prep it( novice to vintage) and looking for more stuff to buy for it. Sounds like good times.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
which club will you be racing with??

it makes a difference as there are subtleties to each clubs rules.

welcome!

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
i'm guessing that as a georgia boy, robert will be doing a lot of wera and a little ahrma.

welcome factor, and thanks for filling out your bio!

texy...the bio nazi!

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I'm doing my Barber dance right now.
It's a heiney shaker and not a modern, interpretive thing

·
Registered
725 Posts
Folks, Just some Barber Tips for non-racers...

Last year I flew down to spectate and arrived at like 7pm, thought I'd just go to the track and pick up my tickets and go inside and camp... see I bought tickets in advance from the website... Well, no spectators after 6pm (or so?) Said I was just going in to pick up racer friends for dinner... this they allowed... Then when I got to the paddock I was turned away by more security, no spectators in the paddock after 6pm, no exceptions... also no spectator camping (like I'm used to most places).

So back to the gate, pull out my AHRMA card (glad I brought it) and sign in as a crew member to get an arm band, pay for the gate fee to AHRMA (no one will refund the spectator ticket since I've already been inside). This worked fine, free acess to the paddock and camped with racers... All is well after another 75$ down the drain...

Just a warning.
karl

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Bottom line. An AHRMA $40 membership is going to be a lot cheaper than the $75 spectator fee.

And bfd, thanks for that mental image.

Craig

·
Registered
13 Posts
joe c, texmawby is correct, for now I'd be more interested in ahrma, not enough open weekends to do both. I'd like to learn more on braking mods, and frame setups from you guys. This a bit different than the Galfer brakes and front end valves I got used to. I also want to learn about tire choices. Thanks ks for the heads up. I'll bring the credentials. C y'all there.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
well, than you might as well build a sportsman 350 bike and bump to sportsman 500. go over the motor, fresh rings (bore to hi-comp THR pistons if you can swing it), slipper cam chain tensioner, bigger carbs (32mm), port job, new valves, keepers, and r/d springs, avon or dunlop tires (i perfer avon) 90/90x18 front, 110/80x18 rear...i use am20 front and am23 rear (i think), new rear shocks (works or progressives), rearsets, 35mm forks, 35mm clipons, damper, big front brake (buffalo 4LS, or a big 2LS grimeca drum), race bump seat (tannermatic), belly pan (tannermatic), amb260x transponder, pvl or dyna ignition, THR headers and meggies, rearsets, number plates......i think that about covers it.

i figure about $4000.00 and a lot of work gets you ready for roebling road (ahrma) or vir (wera) next march.

good luck,

tex

1 - 20 of 76 Posts