Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$175?1?!

I bought this book new, in 1990. Loaned it to a girlfriend, and we split up before she returned it. two yrs ago, I was looking for another copy and found one on eBay (for a lot less than $175), and bought it.

Yep. I bought my own book from the former girlfriend.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was gonna make a joke about gettin your testes back along with the book too, but I figured it would be unkind and possibly perceived as rude.;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think they get their prices from amazon.com. If you search there they haver used ones starting at $175 so people assume that is what they are worth. I quick search found brand new one at britishspares.com for $42.51 USD

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
being in the rare book business for a long time, the price of a book is what someone is willing to pay for it. I've seen dealers buy books for $100.00 and then sell them for $15,000.00. It's all about knowing what your customer wants and what he is willing to pay.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I paid $24 for mine, new. $50ish the second time, which I don't considr to be too bad. $175 is just ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Evil,
I've got a leather bound, (with leather watchamacallit pages begining and end), gold gilt edges, etc. Complete works of Shakespear bought from Thatcher's in London about 20 years ago.
What's something like that cost. I realize it probably has no extra value because of age and being a common book. I was wondering what someone might have spent on that, it was a gift from someone.... someone whose relationship with me didn't warrant that kind of expenditure if you know what I mean. I've always been curious about it. It's only been opened once ( I use my old volume for reading), still in it's plastic sleeve inside it's hard case.
Thanks,
JohnnyB

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
JB I'd need the pub date and publisher . . . . I doubt its a first folio.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Evil i have a 3rd printing of Deutschland Erwacht. 1934. Has the cards already in the book. The fold out in the back is near perfect. Captured by my grandfather in the war.

any guesses?

jb knows some of the bitchen stuff i got.

jc

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Condition is everything. Perfect, it is a $800.00 book. in good condition, $500.00. And BTW, it was only published in 1933. If it truly says 1934 on the TP, well, maybe you have something there to be investigated. Are you trying to read uncials? Blackletter Roman?

PS. JB, I need size, no of illus, and artist.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
ah....yeah, sorry, misprinted it. its in pretty good shape. definitely not perfect. yah, i found about 5 on the web. tops. the 6' foldout in the back is perfect though. but the pages are good, the pics are good, and its all definitely readable.

jc

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Evil,
The Complete Works, Compact Edition

Clarendon Press, Oxford

Says Oxford University Press 1988, First Published 1988, reprinted 1989. 11 illustrations. About 9 x 7"

On further examination...it's a nice book, but not SUPER high quality.
ISBN 0-19-190112-1

JohnnyB

PS. Joe has some cool politically incorrect stuff from WWII :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
my best deal.. The Two Stroke Tuners Handbook by Gordon Jennings, 5 bucks in a little book shop...early in the 90's BI (before internet) I got to beta-test a computer service he was developing on compuserve called wheelbase, we talked on the phone many times , I sent him the book and he put a nice signed note inside the front cover..his estate still owns the url wheelbase.com although there is only a front page no content, a great loss.

dch

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
uhmmmm at that price .... ..ITS GAY to pay that for a book...!!!At least that book....

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
compuserve, theres a name from the past. jesus, i think mike o held onto his compuserve account til they finally made him drop it. i know it was traumatic.

jc

·
Registered
546 Posts
My parents still use compuserve for email or at least i know my dad does. God i hate that thing. So slow and clumsy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts