Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear I posted this earlier, but now the post is gone so I don't know. But has anyone heard of something called a Barrel Style Filter? Omar from http://www.omarsdtr.com/ suggested I use them on my XS instead of pod filters to increase the "tune-ability" of my carbs. He said I could get my local K&N dealer to order me some. Does anyone have a picture of this type filter by any chance?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I use that type on my cb750 and they are K&N's, it's the same filter only it's not tapered at the end. As far as tuning your carbs better I don't see the connection. Be prepared to spend about 40+ per. As far as a picture, any web site that sells K&N's should have a good picture of them.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
And you will still have all the problems of getting air into the engine that pods have anyway. There is a reason why the factories installed airboxes in these bikes.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I don't think his XS will have the same issue getting air to the carbs as the cb's. Seems to me the twins have more separation between the carbs as the main reason.

May the pods be with you....

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
the oval filters have the largest internal air storage (like an airbox) and the most filter surface area (for drawing in the most air easily). thats what i plan to put on my bike. but... this comes w/ no real stats on performance.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I mean I dunno he was the one who claimed that pods disturbed air flow and make it hard to tune. Which ones would you suggest? Or is there really no difference?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Any time you deviate from stock form - you will have to work to re-tune you bike. The more you change, the more tuning is required. Adding K&N's usually requires you to go up two main jet sizes (2.5 increments). If you have a custom exhaust - then you have to go up another 2 jet sizes. (Usually but not cast in stone) Every three main jet size change usually requires you to go up one jet size on your pilot jet and so forth. So the tuning battle continues...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot I think I am going with the pods I like their look a bit more. My bike comes stock with a #135 main and a #27.5 pilot jet. I am getting the K&N filters and a new exhaust. I was think somewhere in the range of main jet of #142.5-#147.5 and a pilot jet of #30 or #32.5. Sound decent?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Sounds like your on the right track with the jet sizes. Depends on the exhaust type - are you adding a header??? If that's the case then going from 135 to 145 Mains sounds like a good starting place (4 main jet sizes). You can always jet down it you run too rich. (Better to be too rich than too poor). One jet size on the pilot also sounds about right also.

have fun tuning...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea the exhaust I am getting is a full system from Omar's Dirt Track Racing. Yea tuning is gonna be tough but it will be worth it in the end when the XS is breathing fire.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Here are a few pics. K&N barrel, Emgo pod, Uni foam pod and K&N oval filters. The K&N barrel filters came on a 81 XS650 I got for free. It has a 2 into 1 pipe but not sure about anything else. No keys or title so I don't know anything more about it but it was free so who cares. I am selling it this weekend for $250 but I am keeping the filters for another project. The barrel filter are 4.75in total length if that helps at all.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow thanks a lot Kawtoy for the picture. To be more specific I am actually going with the K&N oval style filter. What year do you use those on?

·
Registered
187 Posts
They are on a 77 KZ1000, foam pods are on 75 CB750 and emgo pods are on 80 KZ1000

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Hey Kawtoy

I'm bringing one of my bikes to the Log Cabin in Macedon next Wed for cruiser night. I should be easy to find, just look for the only black and chrome cb750 with a 1/4 faring on the front of it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I haven't been out to the Log Cabin yet this year. We just moved here in August but I went once last year in July when we came here to close on our house. There must have been 200 cars and 30 bikes there. Everyone that was with me said it gets much bigger than that. I need to get my Triumph legal again so I can ride out.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I stopped by there this last Wed - try about 200+ cars and 200 bikes. Mostly customized HD - a few sport bikes and only 2 (I counted them) bikes that were older than 1995... So looks like - next wed I'll have to show up.

·
Registered
187 Posts
200 bikes!! Wow. I would like to see that except for the Harley crap. I know some of my buddies go out there on their KZ's. There are about 6 of them that ride lowered and streched Z's so you might have seen them there before.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I meet the Z-Guys last year at the cabin - some serious dollars were tied up in those Kaw'eys. There was only one older Z1000 last week and it looked very stock.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts