Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone here know where to get some good lookin bars for my cafe.
even better would be bars that clamp onto the fork like on a modern street bike

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
you want a set of 35mm clipons (unless you have a GL1000 front end on your cafe bike then 37mm). I bought a set from 250gpchamp on this board for a really good price. They are the simple welded vintage style. IF you want billet aluminum look like a modern sport bike go to ebay an look up pro flow clipons, good price and nice bars (with replaceable bars sections).

personally I used to be a big clubman fan but now I think clubmans are gay. They were originally devloped for a clubman racing series for production street bikes - which sounds great, but every hipster in willamsburg has them on their clapped out honda. to me clipons just look so much more race. IF you want to mount them and retain your stock headlight ears, slide the forks through the trees about an inch or so and bolt the bars to part that sticks out (ideally you want the top of the clipon flush with the top of the fork).

Edited by - Geeto67 on Oct 31 2006 10:24:09 PM

·
Registered
576 Posts
If you want the modern style, I can get Vortex or Pro-Tek for $150.00 a set. Kinda pricey but they look great.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The really nice thing about clip-ons is that they will fold in if you drop the bike as compared to a fixed bar that can tweak stuff outta shape.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
how do you route wires with clip on bars?

hym
what bike? most of the time you notch the control and run them outside. Some bars are open at the top and you can run them through and out the top.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i have tommaselli adjustable clubmans. my bike tipped about a year ago. the bar actually folded under. no damage to anything. but i did have to ride to a local hardware store to get a 10mm allen wrench with a loose bar.

jc

·
Registered
98 Posts
Honad.
Do not let comments stop you from modifying your bike. I have club man bars on my Honda CB750F ( you can see it in my homepage) and those are fine. See it for yourself. I bought a few mos ago clip on bars that I will install soon, because clip on bars are preferable to club man bars, but club man bars do the job fine. Someone said clubman bars are gay, I do not see any gay nothing at all, club man bars are an easier solution to the desired finish, because club man bars are easily installed, clip on bars are a little more demanding, requiring to take off the top fork clamp ( no respectable cafe racer would have clip ons installed on top of the triple clamp) and some guys are just lazy or not that inclined to do that work.

Clip on bars are preferable, but only good clip on bars.I bought a pair of clip on bars, that are just plain trash. Badly made, terrible, and I never used them. I got the club man bars, which are great, and now I got "Telefix" clip on bars, fully adjustable. Anyother kinds are just crap. If the clip on bars are not adjustable ( and Telefix are not just adjustable, this brand is adjustable 100% vertically and horizontally).. then your body will have to adjust.

Check this out:
The first is the good kind of clip on bar. The second is the bad kind, non adjustable and not long enough( arms) to even house the grip plus the ignition switch/ master cylinder.
Later on there is a pix of my club man bars.

Cafe racer DOHC CB750F

http://cardomain.com/id/jaimesix

Edited by - jaimesix on Nov 15 2006 8:17:14 PM

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
just so you know, you can by 3 piece clipons. so you dont have to take the top clamp off. my clubmans kick ass. fully adjustable. and i have clips n my racebike. for street riding, clubmans are nicer. a hell of alot easier to ride 2-300 miles a day with clubmans.

jc

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I got Tommaselli clip-ons for mine. They are adjustable vertically, horizontally and rotationally. You can pick them up on eBay for $90 to $130 depending on the seller. I think i paid $110 or so for mine brand new. They are extremely well made and they look great.

Get what you want don't listen to anyone who says one choice or another is gay' or that one brand or another is 'crap'. Do a little research, find out what others are using and go with it.

Have fun!

Lead, follow or get out of the way!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
Honad.
Do not let comments stop you from modifying your bike. I have club man bars on my Honda CB750F ( you can see it in my homepage) and those are fine. See it for yourself. I bought a few mos ago clip on bars that I will install soon, because clip on bars are preferable to club man bars, but club man bars do the job fine. Someone said clubman bars are gay, I do not see any gay nothing at all, club man bars are an easier solution to the desired finish, because club man bars are easily installed, clip on bars are a little more demanding, requiring to take off the top fork clamp ( no respectable cafe racer would have clip ons installed on top of the triple clamp) and some guys are just lazy or not that inclined to do that work.

Clubman bars are not an easier solution to anything - furthermore they are the new hipster fashon accessory, which makes them gay. When you own a bike as large as a railroad switch engine, such as the DOHC cb750f clubmans are easy to install, but when you have a smaller bike like a SOHC honda where the brake M/C and lines are jammed up against the gauge housing then it is a down right pain in the arse. It is even more complicated when you have internal wiring to deal with. Plus the bikes are so wide that it is very hard to have them not hit the tank. On a SOHC cb750 it is more work to install clubmans than clipons, and rarely do you have a good angle for your wrists.

As for the clipons on top of the clamp:

1) that is how 100% of the factory race replicas come out. Go to your new bike dealer and look at a cbr, gsxr, or zx1000r and you'll see what I mean.

2) when setting up old bike suspensions for handeling, usually you rake them forward. This is usually accomplished by 1" taller shocks in the rear, and sliding the forks through the trees by an inch. since they are sticking up anyway you might as well cover them up with the clip ons. cb750s, kawasaki h1's, kz's, GS's all benefit from this setup.

3) Unlike the DOHC cb750F, most old bikes have headlight ears around the forks so running the clipons underneath means you need to find another way to hang you headlight.

4) it shortens your reach and makes it easier to lean over the bike.

Telefix are a fucking fortune. Unfortunatly for the DOHC cb750, they seem to be the only ones that work with that bike because the thing is such a pig (heavy front end) with weird egronomics. All clip on bars are adjustable as to the pull back and height as long as you are willing to move them up and down the fork, the only real adjustability is in the angle of the bar.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the tommaselli clips are nice too. i prefer having the bosses for the bars taken up with something. and i like riding my bike longer distances. for me the clubs are better.

definitely find what you like.

jc

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
i prefer having the bosses for the bars taken up with something.
A buddy of mone made an idiot light plate for the top clamp on his bike using LEDs for radio shack and some square aluminum plate. You'd never know the bar clamps were there (espically since he ran mini gauges).

·
Registered
98 Posts
quote:

Clubman bars are not an easier solution to anything - furthermore they are the new hipster fashon accessory, which makes them gay. When you own a bike as large as a railroad switch engine, such as the DOHC cb750f clubmans are easy to install, but when you have a smaller bike like a SOHC honda where the brake M/C and lines are jammed up against the gauge housing then it is a down right pain in the arse. It is even more complicated when you have internal wiring to deal with. Plus the bikes are so wide that it is very hard to have them not hit the tank. On a SOHC cb750 it is more work to install clubmans than clipons, and rarely do you have a good angle for your wrists.

As for the clipons on top of the clamp:

1) that is how 100% of the factory race replicas come out. Go to your new bike dealer and look at a cbr, gsxr, or zx1000r and you'll see what I mean.

2) when setting up old bike suspensions for handeling, usually you rake them forward. This is usually accomplished by 1" taller shocks in the rear, and sliding the forks through the trees by an inch. since they are sticking up anyway you might as well cover them up with the clip ons. cb750s, kawasaki h1's, kz's, GS's all benefit from this setup.

3) Unlike the DOHC cb750F, most old bikes have headlight ears around the forks so running the clipons underneath means you need to find another way to hang you headlight.

4) it shortens your reach and makes it easier to lean over the bike.

Telefix are a fucking fortune. Unfortunatly for the DOHC cb750, they seem to be the only ones that work with that bike because the thing is such a pig (heavy front end) with weird egronomics. All clip on bars are adjustable as to the pull back and height as long as you are willing to move them up and down the fork, the only real adjustability is in the angle of the bar.
I do not agree with your statements, but we can agree to disagree without falling in wonted retorting.

Club man bars solve the desire for a rider to have a more speed friendly motorcycle. I say so because a low and aerodynamic posture keeps your body throrax off wind gusts and currents sustained under high speed riding. When I had the family stock bars in place, it was a darn unconfortable position to be in, vertical vertebraes accruing weight on each other, like a tower, making it painfull and boring, but foremost , the position forced me to hold on to the handlebars with more strenght, using valuable energy and tensing my upper body because the force of the oncoming wind on the upper body is a force to reckon with. Club man bars eliminate this problem. Added to that, cafe people, we like the look of the bike with low handlebars , so that is an added feature.

Your anthropomorphism about gay stuff , I leave you alone with that, if you feel gay because of using club man bars , then you need to go deal with that with your local psyquiatrist. Those comments of yours are offensive, we are not here to listen to that sort of baloney.Perhaps you have not realized it, but you are vicariously telling people with club man bars that they look , or their bikes / tastes look gay. That is not the kind of statements cafe racing enthusiasts want to hear. Club man bars are part of the cafe racing experience, to dislike with such viciousness such a motorcycle part should make you re evaluate your cafe racing afinity.

Your comments about club man bars being easier to install on 70's bikes that on a CB750F 82 , again ,I do not share your views . I have seen many 70's Honda fours, and those are much smaller and narrower than the 82 model. In case of my bike, I had to cut the club man bars in two , and weld a center piece to allow it to clear the fork towers. My tank is wide, wider than a 70's, and I had to adjust for that at time of welding. On the other hand, 70's Hondas have the aftermarket club man bars made specifically for those bikes, the club man bars that I got would had fit a CB750 SOHC like hand and glove. The internet is full of those examples , Carpi motorcycles, and any SOHC Honda yopu will see in cafe trim will be either clip oned ( about 30% ) or club man bared ( 70% ).

I live in CA, here people, because of weather, ride bikes year round, and I have seen only one motorcycle with club man bars in the span of ....since 1987... when I rode my first 81 CB750F with telefix clip on bars , and it was a yellow Honda CB750F 77 or 78, the very last SOHC ones , and I saw it about 2 months ago...after all those years. I have no doubts there are and have always been club man bars on bikes, in great numbers, but not even as close as you say , to make it look like a fad.... I never saw any club man bar fad as you say. And again, much less, I do not understand your gay connotation.

All CB750F's DOHC have those ears you mentioned for headlamp location. With clip on bars in the proper location, you will have to get aftermarket headlamp brackets, which are cheap and inexpensive, making no difference at all. The aftermarket clamps are also prefered to the stock ears, even if there was a posibility of keeping the stock ones in place, because once you lower your handlebar position with clip on bars inside the forks, under the triple clamp, you want to lower a tad your headlamp, to keep everything in position, relative to one another. It would look ackward,to have your clip on bars on the forks, while the headlamp remains up and high, like a swimming pool light. But that is more of a personal issue , just wanted to mention the advantages of getting aftermarket clamps against keeping the original ears.

Any fully adjustable clip on bar, like the Telefix, or the other brands I have not seen, but mentioned by other members like the Tomaselli, are the only recomended way. The one way fit all, like the black pair I posted before, are terrible, because, like you say, you can move the whole assembly up or down on the forks , but that is not enough nor efficient, because of your cables and conections , you want to keep those fixed at a position, and there is not a lot of play for those cables.With a fully adjustable unit, the clamped part on the fork remains there, fixed once the right position is found for that clamp , and the rest of the calibration moves around the remaining axises , assuring good back, wrist and even cables and conectors position. Very important is the clearance for the gas tank. Most simple clip ons can not clear the gas tank. What I like with the Telefix ones is that the fork clamp and the handlebar are separated by a small arm with an axis. That small arm is great in assuring tank clearance. Telefix brand is not cheap, but not that expensive, probably 60 bucks more than a comparable brand. Choose the brand of your choice, but make sure it is fully adjustable. With the cheap unidimensional model clip on bar like the one I posted, ( black one) unless you have a really small bike ( 125) you will have clearance problems with the gas tank.
About clip on bars onver the triple clamp, I do not recomend it. I know it can be done, but, if you are getting clip on bars, install them the right way. If any person is going to install clip on bars over the triple clamp, it would be easier to install a flat tubular handlebar. Club man bars would do a better job than clip ons over the triple clamp.
The advantage of clip on bars over any tubular bar ( club man, flat, regular stock...) is that the control exercised over the motorcycle handling goes directly over the forks. Each clip on bar is individually afixed to each fork, so each movement the rider makes, directly steers the bike, and also directly controls is , as in the case of cornering. The regular tubular bars ( of which the best one is the club man bar, because its center of gravity is lower than the regular tall bar) do not transfer control directly to the steering parts of the bike, front tire and fork, but, your movement goes to the forks via triple clamp....the triple clamp becomes the axis. That is a tall, as far as it can be from the tire axis. Clip on bars on the forks under the triple clamp are the most effective means of transfer of control to the final steering part, the tire. The closer to the tire the better, the lower on your forks, the better.
Clip on bars over the triple clamp have the same effect tubular handlebars have. Only slightly better, because of the direct fork conection, but too high and over the triple clamp to prove efficient.

For handling efficiency, clip on bars under the triple clamp. For better position, wind advantage , but on a budget , easier installation , club man bars.

I agree with making rear peg set ups, it will help, but that will come only after you install the clip ons / club man bars. Then you will know how far to go. That is not difficult to make. For any SOHC Honda guys, there is plenty in the internet to look for.
I rode my previous CB750F with clip ons, and stock rearsets.Make it simple, have fun, look for the good side, implement as you modify. Do not get paralised because someone tells you you will need X Y and Z before you get A B and C.

Cafe racer DOHC CB750F

http://cardomain.com/id/jaimesix

Edited by - jaimesix on Nov 16 2006 3:36:39 PM

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Holy shit! I was starting to think this topic sucked and then I read throrax and psyquiatrist and now I'm right back in. Thanks!

JD

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
JD - You got further than I did. I read "Your anthropomorphism about gay stuff , I leave you alone with that" and stopped at that point. Too many big words for me.

I thought this thread was about places to have a beer. My mistake.

Craig

·
Registered
353 Posts
Dunno where you live in CA, but every hipster in LA has clubmans too.

I think a "club man" is a guy who hangs out in gay clubs, so maybe that's the right term for those bars.

Superbike bars are nice if you can handle the ego hit from not having clip-ons. Maybe that's something to take up with your "psyquiatrist".

Cool DOHC f, by the way.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Man I loved the anthropomorphism and psyquiatrist part too. By the way, anthropomorphism is applying human characteristics to a non-human object, so I don't really know how that fits into the discussion, but it is a way cool word. I try to slip it in as often as I can just for fun.

Jaimesix,
Not to bust your balls(hope I can use that colloquialism with out offense), but how many sets of bars have you installed on how many different bikes? From personal experience, 15 years in the bike business and racing since 77, many bars and many models of bikes do not get along. As Geeto, (homophobic?), pointed out the tank, controls and guages all have an impact on how they will fit. Making a general statement about how bars will work is probably a mistake.

Finally, Gay has been turned into general term that kinda means sucks, stupid, ugly, retarded (oops, politically incorrect, too), etc.This may upset the homosexuals among us as it steals their identity term, but since they changed the original meaning to suit themselves then maybe turn about is fair play. As has been pointed out this board is fairly rude and crude, but we seem to like it that way. So either lighten up or go ahead and get worked up over little stuff and miss out on the benefits of this group.

Ken
Wera #119

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

1 - 20 of 37 Posts