Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all............recently put a new battery in my 69 cb175. Battery died after a week or so. I only rode it for a total of an hour within that time. It usually takes 6 cranks with starter to get her going so i imagine that's draining the battery significantly. I also have an H4 type bulb which most likely drawing a bit of current too. I'm thinking, I'm just not riding long enough for stator to charge battery along with the above mentioned. Also, should I kick start to save battery charge? What do you guys think?........Thanks

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Have you checked to see if the battery is actually getting a charge? Start the bike and put a voltmeter on the battery. You should see between 13-15v if all is well (over 2K RPM).

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you are getting full voltage to the battery on the charging and all connections are good but it still won't hold a charge then have the battery load tested. If it has a bad cell it can still charge enough to start and run but may not hold a charge.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The H4 bulb is most likely not allowing the battery to get the juice it needs. These charging systems are marginal to begin with, so adding a relatively high wattage bulb to the system soaks up what's left, which the battery needs. Certainly wouldn't hurt to install an modern bridge rectifier in place of the OEM one.
http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=7933&hilit=rectifier

NE

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I'm assuming you have a 60/55w H4?
That's almost 5 amps on low beam.
Charging system puts out about 2 amps max
Get a 35/35w H4, several scooters use them so they are easily available
(also fitted to early Yamaha Genesis)
What was standard original bulb wattage? (either 25w or 35w?)
35w is less than 3 amps so everything should be OK.
You could also have a 'leaky' rectifier or broken red/white wire, check that first

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok...so put voltmeter on battery at 2K rpm and nothing happened. Picked up a modern style rectifier on ebay and looking for 35w H4 bulb. Anybody ever put an LED type bulb in headlight?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I've got one but haven't tried it out yet.
I have heard they ain't very good to actually see anything at night but keep you legal as you have to ride with lights on

·
Registered
865 Posts
Some of the older models didn't have a regulator. If you have an ammeter you can check the amperage coming out of the stator (before it hits the rectifier). My 175 put out about 3a max (about 3krpms and above). If you see close to 3a, and you know that rectifier is good, then you should be ok. Although, I must admit, I have never played with a regulator-less bike so I dont know what your normal voltage reading would be.

If you resolve your charging issues and the battery keeps dying, you might just have to throw in a tender every now and then to keep it up.

BTW, the bike looks great!

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
quote:Originally posted by therepairman

Is there a way to test stator directly?
Yes - put a voltmeter across the wires (unplug them), run the bike at around 5k rpm and you should see 40-60v AC (not sure on what the correct voltage should be for your CB - might be in the manual??).

Anyway, if you are getting nothing, then your stator is shot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello
I've been using deep cycle battery from past 2 years and didn't faced any problem at all.
selected my battery after going through this guide best deep cycle battery

question :
1. vehicle is not getting sufficient power from battery, battery is all good their is no problem in battery.
what can be the problem

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
hello
I've been using deep cycle battery from past 2 years and didn't faced any problem at all.
selected my battery after going through this guide best deep cycle battery

question :
1. vehicle is not getting sufficient power from battery, battery is all good their is no problem in battery.
what can be the problem
The charging circuit.

Start a new thread, this one is ancient.
& why would you put a deep cycle battery in a motorcycle :/ it's not an electric trolling motor or travel trailer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts