Cafe Racer Forum banner

121 - 122 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I was just talking with a co-worker about it an hour ago....it's so damn expensive now. With all the cheap Cessna 150's out there buying the airplane is the cheapest part, insurance, parking, landing fees, fuel, even the cost of lessons is a fortune.
When I started on my private about 10 years ago, I was paying $170/hr for a 172. That was with an instructor and wet. That's a lot of mowed grass. Surprisingly, prices seem to have remained fairly stable. I think my local airport charges around $150/hr for a 150 now, with an instructor.

I had a friend with an Arrow for awhile we used to bump around in, and another friend's father had a Cirrus SR20 I spent some time in, but with college, then work, I never found time (and more importantly, money) to completely finish my ticket.

I've thought several times about building a kit aircraft. I think I might really enjoy that challenge.

·
Registered
23,296 Posts
When I started on my private about 10 years ago, I was paying $170/hr for a 172. That was with an instructor and wet. That's a lot of mowed grass. Surprisingly, prices seem to have remained fairly stable. I think my local airport charges around $150/hr for a 150 now, with an instructor.
I'm too tall to fit in a 150, so I have to rent a 172 or a cherokee. Personally I prefer the low wing. In the 1990's I was paying something like $120 a wet hour w/ instructor. One of the Air Force guys was telling me there was a flying club at Dayton that was $80 a wet hour (no instructor) but they shut down. Most of the flying clubs run $120 a wet hour and $50 for instruction on top of the flying club fee.

I had a friend with an Arrow for awhile we used to bump around in, and another friend's father had a Cirrus SR20 I spent some time in, but with college, then work, I never found time (and more importantly, money) to completely finish my ticket.
Dad's got a mooney and I have tons of right seat in the plane but he's not an instructor so I can't be left seat. Also now I live in a different state so I don't even get to go up every weekend like I used to. I did most of my instruction in the summer between college semesters and I didn't finish before I went back to college. now I'm almost 40 and with a kid and a wife and a job with heavy hours it feels like it will never get done.

I've thought several times about building a kit aircraft. I think I might really enjoy that challenge.
A friend of mine did it with a Glasair sportsman. Took their build school and ended up with a finished aircraft. It was a very expensive proposition but the plain was first rate. Dad and his friends built sonerai's in our garage in the 1980's and dad even did a helicopter in the 1970's. It's a lot of work which is why most don't end up finished.

121 - 122 of 122 Posts