Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Its been a while since ive visited this site...lots has changed in my life and also in my garage. Graduated med school, joined an orthopaedic surgery residency and sold my ducati monster,my 03 SV650, my Royal enfield and my BMW F650gs. My list of bikes remains below.
Most recently I picked up a 1966 honda 305 dream from a local farmer. I couldnt resist it. It started first kick and idled well. The clutch cable was stretched out and the brakes didnt work at all, but I could look past all that. The engine seemed tight, there were no leaks and the carb recently built.
It had its flaws also,,, one of the headers was dented badly (per the story) so the PO swapped it for some other CB pipe (whose radius is too big) causing the front fender brace to knock into the pipe = dangerous lock up! The guy was nuts and told me he rode the bike that way! The stock pipes are swiss cheese also, unfortunately.

So...the plan for this bike (since it runs well) is to clean it up and gift it to my pops...whos at the age where he is beginning to doubt himself. Hopefully this little guy will make him want to go riding with me again.
If you guys know of any videos or online readings that I can peruse, point me in that direction! I dont have much time, but love to read on my phone on my downtime at work!
You guys have helped me get bikes on the road before, and its good to be back.
Anup.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
check out Bill Silvers site. He is mr. 305.

Stock mufflers for that are unobtainum. If you can find them BIG BIG bucks, like $1,000 set or more for NOS.

Should not be hard at all to find that proper header pipe.

You aren't up at Cooperstown any more are you?

Jack

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
check out Bill Silvers site. He is mr. 305.

Stock mufflers for that are unobtainum. If you can find them BIG BIG bucks, like $1,000 set or more for NOS.

Should not be hard at all to find that proper header pipe.

You aren't up at Cooperstown any more are you?

Jack

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
folks house is still up there...but im working in PA currently...not far!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
folks house is still up there...but im working in PA currently...not far!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After the teardown.........piles of parts everywhere. photo 3.5.jpg photo 2.2.jpg photo 3.1.jpg photo 3.2.jpg photo 3.3.jpg photo 3.4.jpg

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Down to the frame photo 4.1.jpg photo 4.2.jpg

Primer stage....chose a nice candy/maroon color. photo 4.4.jpg photo 4.3.JPG

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the bike should be back by the end of this month from the painter....hired a local guy to handle it...keeps fingers crossed.

feel free to leave tips to make the reassembly easier or things that you guys have found while re-doing your bikes...always appreciated!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Restored this one last year.

Pressed framed can kind of be a pain but they do have a nice look.

As in any resto/rebuild keep good track of everything. Pictures are your friend.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
did you have to rebuild that petcock? mine weeps along with the shifter gasket and the kickstart gasket....any good source for parts?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
brought the bike home a while ago from the painters...he did a fine job, dropped the motor, hammered out dents and body work etc.
however he didnt tighten down everything like id expect him to and i think his garage was damp so now the motor that ran before was stuck...the oil may have wept out from the shifter seal thats cracked.
The clutch remains stretched out, and the bike needs brakes.
but heres how she sits.
I opted not to spend a ton on polishing and opted to paint some of the parts silver for now. photo 1 (1).JPG photo 2.JPG

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Nice color but I have to say the white color bike above really makes the bike pop - at least for me.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice color but I have to say the white color bike above really makes the bike pop - at least for me.
agreed, which is why if this one works out nice, the next one will be white and the third black.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
dump some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders and let it sit for a while, then try to turn it over with the spark plugs out.

the red color looks really nice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts