Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Good point Desmo. I guess I got a little off-topic with the hack bobber stuff.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
It seems to me that a lot of old school drag bikes used struts in place of shocks, so there is some precedence for using them. I'm not a fan of the look either but saying it should have been hardtailed instead misses the point more than using struts IMHO.
That is exactly right. Some classes of drag racing allow a basically stock bike with solid rear end and so on. This bike has been lowered to look like a drag bike and solid struts make sense if it's that low to keep the rear tire out of the rider's ass that is.

The small tank is a sort of Harley peanut meets tiny drag race tank, so the look is what I refer to as Street Rod. I like that general look, even though it won't handle as well around corners, it makes for a faster straight line bike.

In this case, it has gone too far. Solid struts on a street bike are never a good idea and dropping the back end rakes out the front as we all know, and that adds insult to cornering injury. So nice idea but needs to be refined to make it more useful. Shorter than stock chocks would work and smaller diameter wheels would lower the stance and would provide a reasonable compromise.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That is exactly right. Some classes of drag racing allow a basically stock bike with solid rear end and so on. This bike has been lowered to look like a drag bike and solid struts make sense if it's that low to keep the rear tire out of the rider's ass that is.

The small tank is a sort of Harley peanut meets tiny drag race tank, so the look is what I refer to as Street Rod. I like that general look, even though it won't handle as well around corners, it makes for a faster straight line bike.

In this case, it has gone too far. Solid struts on a street bike are never a good idea and dropping the back end rakes out the front as we all know, and that adds insult to cornering injury. So nice idea but needs to be refined to make it more useful. Shorter than stock chocks would work and smaller diameter wheels would lower the stance and would provide a reasonable compromise.
Informative, accurate, and not a hint of condescension. I nominate this for post of the month!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
1965 Ducati 250 before and after. I made these mods in 2005, before the Benelli tanks were passé. And yes, I know the exhaust is obnoxious, but it was my first "build" or whatever you want to call it:
Hey! I saw you and your bike at Mid-Ohio in 2005. I had a 907 in the Ducati display. You probably don't remember me but when they announced that your bike had won... I've forgotten what category now... and you were standing there looking surprised I'm the one who said something along the lines of "I told you it was a nice job".

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey! I saw you and your bike at Mid-Ohio in 2005. I had a 907 in the Ducati display. You probably don't remember me but when they announced that your bike had won... I've forgotten what category now... and you were standing there looking surprised I'm the one who said something along the lines of "I told you it was a nice job".
Thanks DD! I believe you were at Barber (Ducstock) a couple years ago too, right? Your Ducs are great!!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts