Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old Folks,

If you are interested to the quintessential "Old School Cafe Racer" motorcycle jacket I just noticed the best deal on the Belstaf Trailmaster 3/4 length motorcycle jacket I've seen since I bought my first one back in the '70's $360.00 and new to me it comes in a bunch of colors. On the Belstaf web-sight.

Cheers
Rich

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
That's because your US$ is so pricy! Want to hear something really depressing ( for me not you )
360US$ = $489.60 CDN + 13% tax = 553.24 + shipping
and I remember the 1960's and 1970's when our dollar was worth more then yours.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
TR,
I do remember. I used to race at a place called Westwood in BC. Hated going there motels and food seemed to cost a fortune.
Cheers
and you were probably working with about a 14% exchange rate at the time. Imagine what it's like for me to travel anywhere in the world and they only accept US$ at 36% + exchange rate.

I can't even give a free buck to a beggar in a third world without them requesting it converted to US currency.

(y) buy lots of imported products, the rest of the world is greedy for your money right now.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
We were looking for a wheel for a 1000 monster and found one in Saskatchewan, it'll need powder coating, $200Cdn shipped. They want over $200US for a bent one south of the border.
Anyone wants a slightly bent, red, 3 spoke, Brembo wheel..$200Cdn plus shipping LOL.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK ! so I will admit that I just bought some carbon fiber Dymags for some racers. Best price for me in the US with USD was from the UK and they were 20% cheaper and that's including shipping. So you guys got me thinking that even with the US economy totally in the privy things aren't quiet as bad as I had been thinking.

Weird part is that I have more to do than I did a year ago. Maybe it's that people are bored so they think up projects and I end up doing part of those.

The Monster wheel is crazy. The guy at GP Racing in Sacto, Ca. is great at making them true again almost makes me want that one.........LOL............not really but it's a thought.

Keep on keeping on..... fastly
Rich

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I'm retired :cool: all I have to do now is ride motorcycles. This weekend I have 3 extra families of motorcycle riders camping out on my back 40 and all we are going to do is ride silly expensive motorcycles that have no seat.

Speaking of expensive goodies; my buddy just bought a titanium header pipe for his 300 Beta, very light piece of kit for 500 bucks, I think that works out to about 30 bucks a gram.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I'm retired :cool: all I have to do now is ride motorcycles. This weekend I have 3 extra families of motorcycle riders camping out on my back 40 and all we are going to do is ride silly expensive motorcycles that have no seat.

Speaking of expensive goodies; my buddy just bought a titanium header pipe for his 300 Beta, very light piece of kit for 500 bucks, I think that works out to about 30 bucks a gram.
At 155lbs or so it's got to be tough finding ways to shave weight. Easier to drop the weight by drinking 2 less beer the night before riding.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Actually the pipe works great! The OEM replacement pipe would have been 1500$ and S3 makes this titanium header for a third the price. The original was beat to shit with attempts made to fix it by the previous owner, once JoshJosh put the new pipe on it sealed exhaust pressure much better and sound only comes out the tail pipe again (y) highly recommend product.

You should see the stuff the experts are riding now, they don't even try to walk it because you can't, we have riding terrain here now that is every bit as good as Ioco B.C. Last night was party night, tonight is early bed so we can ride lots more tomorrow ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually the pipe works great! The OEM replacement pipe would have been 1500$ and S3 makes this titanium header for a third the price. The original was beat to shit with attempts made to fix it by the previous owner, once JoshJosh put the new pipe on it sealed exhaust pressure much better and sound only comes out the tail pipe again (y) highly recommend product.

You should see the stuff the experts are riding now, they don't even try to walk it because you can't, we have riding terrain here now that is every bit as good as Ioco B.C. Last night was party night, tonight is early bed so we can ride lots more tomorrow ;)
Just a thought about Carbon fiber wheels. It's not really about the total weight of the motorbike. Taking off 12 or 15 lbs is good but that's not the driving force in going for such an expensive item, If I was modifying a motorbike for performance my order of changes would likely be; rider comfort. Getting the rider to feel in control with; foot pegs (& location) bars (location) seat (height) and lastly windscreen. No hope in going quickly or even giving good feed-back if your not one with the machine. Then next I'd up-grade the suspension, factory bits now days are pretty good but they often don't have the adjustments that let you really dial the motorbike in. The next addition I'd be making would be CF wheels. They make such a huge difference in how the bike feels and response that it's hard to even get that across unless you have a chance to ride with OEM wheels then pull those off and go with race (CF or Mag) wheels. My best example from my experience would be driving a automobile without power steering then going to one with power steering. Then I'd take off weight (gross weight) and finally HORSE POWER ! "more HP more things break."

The reason again is not about the motorbikes weight. It's mostly about the rotating weight and the suspension compression and rebound acceleration +/- speed. Remember if the wheel weighs one gram at a given spot while standing still think about how much that spot will weigh at say 120 MPH. It's all back to the bicycle wheel and axle example they show you in physics class and how hard it is to make it change angles when it's spinning.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I got lazy in my old age, I just buy expensive motorcycles now and ride em.

What's a seat
oh, ya right lol that street bike saddle thing I sometimes sit on. The one on my MV feels like a tractor seat with a space age fabric coating, rear suspension is so stiff I could not possibly sit on it when I hit a bump, I just ride the foot pegs much of the time. BMW saddle is pretty comfy, but could be much better, I would like a Corbin solo seat for a 1986 era K100RS if anybody is giving one away (y)

and the Belstaf jacket really is still an awesome nice jacket.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Pretty sure carbon fibre wheels would not survive a trials bike long, we run our one ply tires near flat and smash them into big rocks continuously. Great for hardtop though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pretty sure carbon fibre wheels would not survive a trials bike long, we run our one ply tires near flat and smash them into big rocks continuously. Great for hardtop though.
Corbin saddles work well. I've done some Iron Butt type events (11 days 10 K+ ) and his seats are what I used. I'm lucky in that I was going to him way back when he was a one man and a helper working out of a small garage outside of Santa Cruz. I get a pretty good deal. This said I wonder what bike do you need a seat for ? I never sell a bike with his seat on it.

Carbon Fiber wheels on a dirt bike or in the dust; Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm not so much.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Corbin saddles work well. I've done some Iron Butt type events (11 days 10 K+ ) and his seats are what I used. I'm lucky in that I was going to him way back when he was a one man and a helper working out of a small garage outside of Santa Cruz. I get a pretty good deal. This said I wonder what bike do you need a seat for ? I never sell a bike with his seat on it.

Carbon Fiber wheels on a dirt bike or in the dust; Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm not so much.

Cheers
Might be no good, but I always wanted to try one:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts