Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
That wouldn't have anything to do with your new PM would it? According to danger Cats he is not well liked in the Alberta area
Alberta has dirty oil, the market value is so low it is not worth processing. It is also landlocked, they would love to send their bitumen through pipe but none of the neighbours, including those to the south want pipelines, so none has or will be built. They couldn't get it built for 10 years with a pro oil Alberta conservative running the country and nothing has changed. Low oil prices and not being able to get citizens approval to build pipeline has smashed Alberta's economy. The reality is that it wouldn't matter who was in power they can't change either of the causes of Alberta's woes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do believe some Benelli are still made in Pesaro. Check the VIN tag for country of origin. Fist character should be the letter Z for Italy and L for China. New TNTs may be made in India, letter M.

I'd bet the brake calipers are copies of Brembo.

I'm with Woodsman, I'd buy the Canadian Guzzi, if it is a USA market legal machine, and skip the early depreciation.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I do believe some Benelli are still made in Pesaro. Check the VIN tag for country of origin. Fist character should be the letter Z for Italy and L for China. New TNTs may be made in India, letter M.

I'm with Woodsman, I'd buy the Canadian Guzzi, if it is a USA market legal machine, and skip the early depreciation.
It's the same bike as is sold in the US. Motorcycles move across the border pretty easily.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Then they did a crap job of copying, they left off half the pistons.

... hard to find any direct reference to it in advertising or tests but I did find one write-up that described the brakes as twin pot front callipers and a single pot rear.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Then they did a crap job of copying, they left off half the pistons.

... hard to find any direct reference to it in advertising or tests but I did find one write-up that described the brakes as twin pot front callipers and a single pot rear.
Yea, the more I research them the more I am not so sure. I mean I like the idea of the bike, a lot of people seem to like them and they are a very good looking machine. For the same $6k I can find a bunch of other bikes that are going to be better just not new

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
12 months.
That's not great, I assume unlimited mileage.

When I bought my Duc the warranty was 36 months unlimited mileage, I see new ducati's are down to 24. Honda offers 1 year or 12,000 miles but also offers a supplemental protection plan where you can increase the motorcycle warranty to 3 years (5 on touring bikes). Suzuki and Yamaha does the same thing but offers 4 years of optional extended coverage on most motorcycle products.

FWIW, Benelli used to offer a 2 year warranty when they were strictly italian. Some dealers may offer 3rd party warranties that look like honda or kawasaki extended coverage but they don't work the same as Honda and Kawasaki back their extended warranty programs.

I am not saying you shouldn't do it, I think it would be a fun experiment, but just know what you are getting into.

As an alternative, my local dealer just priced leftover 2017 SCR950s down to below $6K, so maybe see if a local dealer to you has a left over one. It's basically a scramber bolt and not really good at being either, but I think it could be a fun "retro" commuter motorcycle:

https://www.ponypowersports.com/inventory/2017-yamaha-scr950-westerville-oh-43081-1458154i

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah, I was eyeing the SCR950 for a while. My Yammy dealership here sucks to say the least. Small, and I do mean small. Showroom has maybe a dozen bikes, 90% offroad. I think he only sells street bikes because he is required to by Yamaha.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Yeah, I was eyeing the SCR950 for a while. My Yammy dealership here sucks to say the least. Small, and I do mean small. Showroom has maybe a dozen bikes, 90% offroad. I think he only sells street bikes because he is required to by Yamaha.
Iron Pony near me has 3 at that price. They are cheap enough now that I am actually seriously wondering if my wife will divorce me if I buy another motorcycle without telling her.

·
Registered
750 Posts
That's not great, I assume unlimited mileage.

When I bought my Duc the warranty was 36 months unlimited mileage, I see new ducati's are down to 24. Honda offers 1 year or 12,000 miles but also offers a supplemental protection plan where you can increase the motorcycle warranty to 3 years (5 on touring bikes). Suzuki and Yamaha does the same thing but offers 4 years of optional extended coverage on most motorcycle products.

FWIW, Benelli used to offer a 2 year warranty when they were strictly italian. Some dealers may offer 3rd party warranties that look like honda or kawasaki extended coverage but they don't work the same as Honda and Kawasaki back their extended warranty programs.

I am not saying you shouldn't do it, I think it would be a fun experiment, but just know what you are getting into.

As an alternative, my local dealer just priced leftover 2017 SCR950s down to below $6K, so maybe see if a local dealer to you has a left over one. It's basically a scramber bolt and not really good at being either, but I think it could be a fun "retro" commuter motorcycle:

https://www.ponypowersports.com/inventory/2017-yamaha-scr950-westerville-oh-43081-1458154i
man, that's nearly 3 and a half grand off. nothing says couldn't given em away like that sort of discount. probably a good bike for the money, if it's the sort of bike you want.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
It looks nice, but I'm buying a much better looking bike next week

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
It is a very nice bike!
They build a pretty darn good motorcycle in Taiwan when they are going to put a Japanese or British name on the tank ;)

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
man, that's nearly 3 and a half grand off. nothing says couldn't given em away like that sort of discount. probably a good bike for the money, if it's the sort of bike you want.
yeah it's a really good deal.

All the reviews panned the bike when it came bout because it is really just a dressed up bolt and they didn't change anything suspension wise to make it a better off road bike. All the owners I have talked to have said, it's a fire roads at best soft-roader.

This is one of those bikes where I think yamaha tried to do something really fashion-y and interesting and underestimated the market. They went after all the people converting bolts and BMWs to scramblers thinking there would be people who would prefer all the fashion + a warranty but the market didn't materialize. Somehow having a cool vintage looking scrambler with a warranty that isn't a death trap doesn't get you likes on Instagram, maybe that's why HD hasn't made a retro scrambler yet.

There is a guy who lives near me who commutes on a gray one and from he said it's a great, retro looking, vintage feeling UJM V-twin. Gets good mileage, has the right amount of vibration and exhaust note to be interesting, you'll never lose it at a bike night or in a parking lot, and it is drama free <--- that last part appealed to me esp after this week where every bike including the new one was broken with some sort of stupid thing (Ducati's belts expired, Harley cracked a fuel inlet fitting, bmw's battery popped, and the honda's coil bracket cracked and dismounted from the frame) and I couldn't ride. Having a nice simple, retro good looking modern bike to go to bike nights with or to work on without worry is really appealing.

I think this is one of those bikes that will either be forgotten, or when they get a little cheaper the market will suddenly spring up for them and there will be a shortage - like my ducati or the W650 did in this country. either way it looks fun and fun is the important part, right?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I really like Benelli bikes, they sell quite well here in Italy, especially the Trk and Leoncino.
I must say, Benelli sales skyrocketed here in Italy since they QJ bought the brand.
The previous Italian owner, infamous Merloni who managed to send a whole town bankrupt, almost caused the closure of Benelli too.
I'm not a Benelli owner nor an enthusiast of the brand but it played a most important role in the motorcycle history in Italy (especially in racing) and their hq is a mere hour drive from where I live so I'm happy to see QJ is managing it better than any previous Italian owner.
I'm still looking for a test ride in order to have a more precise idea on how they handle, they run and such.

·
Registered
750 Posts
yeah it's a really good deal.

All the reviews panned the bike when it came bout because it is really just a dressed up bolt and they didn't change anything suspension wise to make it a better off road bike. All the owners I have talked to have said, it's a fire roads at best soft-roader.

This is one of those bikes where I think yamaha tried to do something really fashion-y and interesting and underestimated the market. They went after all the people converting bolts and BMWs to scramblers thinking there would be people who would prefer all the fashion + a warranty but the market didn't materialize. Somehow having a cool vintage looking scrambler with a warranty that isn't a death trap doesn't get you likes on Instagram, maybe that's why HD hasn't made a retro scrambler yet.

There is a guy who lives near me who commutes on a gray one and from he said it's a great, retro looking, vintage feeling UJM V-twin. Gets good mileage, has the right amount of vibration and exhaust note to be interesting, you'll never lose it at a bike night or in a parking lot, and it is drama free <--- that last part appealed to me esp after this week where every bike including the new one was broken with some sort of stupid thing (Ducati's belts expired, Harley cracked a fuel inlet fitting, bmw's battery popped, and the honda's coil bracket cracked and dismounted from the frame) and I couldn't ride. Having a nice simple, retro good looking modern bike to go to bike nights with or to work on without worry is really appealing.

I think this is one of those bikes that will either be forgotten, or when they get a little cheaper the market will suddenly spring up for them and there will be a shortage - like my ducati or the W650 did in this country. either way it looks fun and fun is the important part, right?
depends how cynically you want to view it, pretty hard not to given how they dressed it up. like lots of things that are perfectly good bikes that no one wants.

how old are the ducati belts? i had a bloke asking me yesterday if i really thought he needed to replace the original belts on his 2007 mts1100. was still going, he wasn't convinced it was an issue.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
depends how cynically you want to view it, pretty hard not to given how they dressed it up. like lots of things that are perfectly good bikes that no one wants.

how old are the ducati belts? i had a bloke asking me yesterday if i really thought he needed to replace the original belts on his 2007 mts1100. was still going, he wasn't convinced it was an issue.
On the Aircooled Duc's the service interval is something like 2 years regardless of mileage, althugh plenty of duc techs have told me 3 is fine. I'm at 4 something now. While the main concern is that they will break, there is a secondary concern about shedding teeth. When I lived in NY I saw plenty of 90's monsters that had never had a belt done where chunks were missing from the teeth of the gilmer belt - they ran fine though. The aircooled engines are interference engines so it's critical that the betls be changed often because a broken belt and resultant cylinder & head rebuild can often exceed the value of the bike. I have always had my duc's done at 3 years. I think the multistrada has something like a 5 year and 15,000 belt service interval, but I don't know those bikes well. It's not a bike that gets bounced off the rev limiter I suppose so there probably isn't a lot of shock loading on it. FWIW I remember changing belts on a 'Strada once and it's like a 20min job start to finish - super easy so why wouldn't you do it regularly?

But that wasn't the only issue with the duc. Tires are now 12 years old and when riding it 2 weeks back I must have hit a sharp stone with the rear because there is a tiny slit exposing cord in the rear. Even though those tires have tubes in them I didn't want to chance riding it because of what a twitchy loaded weapon the bike is.

I was watching Henry Rollins spoken word shows on youtube the other day, and I caught an old show where he said "cynicism is intellectual laziness" and I had forgotten how much that resonated with me. SO I am trying to see the positive in things more often. I don't think anybody buying an SCR950 has any more pretension to take it off road than guys who put knobbies on old non-GS airheads. TO me the bike is a bolt (which is a solid reliable crusier motorcycle) without the uncomfortable cruiser riding position and some vintage styling that I don't have to take my life into my own hands to get - It's easy to be cynical but it is not helping anything.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts