Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
That price on the SCR may be factory authorized as I see they are the same price here.

Geeto, 12 year old tires and debating changing belts, loving the deal on the SCR...you sound like a man who's ready to buy something new.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
That price on the SCR may be factory authorized as I see they are the same price here.

Geeto, 12 year old tires and debating changing belts, loving the deal on the SCR...you sound like a man who's ready to buy something new.
I am not debating changing belts and tires, just waiting till the dealer can fit me in for work. Since the weather broke in ohio it's been a mad rush for everyone to get their bikes in for service. Still it's the newest/most reliable bike in the fleet at the moment and it's not useable, and also because of it's rarity I do have to treat it like a jewel sometimes and because of that I like to have receipts as proof that the bike was serviced. My honda used to be my go to, do it all, not worry about it bike but lately it's been plagued with issues and while most are small I feel like "ol' Blue" went from dependable hound dog to time to take it out back and whack it with the shovel of a major overhaul. I mean, there is more oil on the outside of the engine from gasket weep at this point than inside the oil tank and she smokes like a frenchman at traffic lights because of it...but it's so hard to turn a working motorcycle into a non working one.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
That was part of my struggle with the 440. There was so much that I wanted to do, a total frame up resto, but it was still a dependable ride so I could never get myself to take it out of commission in order to do all the work i wanted to. But it's also better to address the small things before they become "broke down on the side of the road and wondering if you can fix it with the tool kit" things

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
<snip> because of it's rarity I do have to treat it like a jewel...

I have a friend who disagrees. He lives at about 7000ft in Colorado and has no garage at his new house.

Full disclosure: After taking those pics I guilted him into bringing it indoors. He's going to build a garage... someday...

The Ducati wasn't the only bike that sat outside year round BTW.

As far as Benellis go, I'm hugely biased but I'd spend the money on a used Ducati instead. Or maybe an Aprilia. As big a Ducati fan as I am, it's hard to beat an Aprilia for an afordable Italian "exotic". (That said, I'm prety sure I'll be selling my RSV track bike. It works great but I feel like a traitor riding it.)

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Is he the original owner?

Man that zard exhaust is teh sex!

There are only about 350 2006 yellow monoposto Sport 1000's in the US give or take a dozen. Modified or stock that's all there ever was or will be - it's fewer than paul smarts which are projected to be around 600 in the US. It's the only bike I have ever bought new, and it's the only vehicle I ever bought new that has appreciated within a relatively short time of purchasing it (I bought it in 2007 as a leftover and by 2010 they had begun to climb in value). I have made tasteful mods to mine to, and I own that same tank bag. I have a tendency to hold on to vehicles for a long time (jeep = 24 years, GTO 22 years, cb750 20 years, ducati 12 years) so I figured that if I make the effort to keep all the paperwork, and keep all the stock parts I take off in the house under my bed in bubble wrap, then it will reward my heirs with something unique and unusual. Most of the ones I see are heavily modded and I am totally cool with that and I encourage those that have ones where they aren't the original owners and saving every scrap of paper they should go out and mod the crap out of it to their hearts content. But this is my bike and aside from a planned ohlins suspension upgrade I still want to do, I'm pretty happy with the relationship I have with it. It's having 5 other broken piles of old bike at the same time that is annoying me. But then again BMW is back on the road so....4 other broken POS bikes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree with everything! That's pretty much the same feeling I have towards my Moto Guzzi California, which I inherited from my father, who bought it in 1973 and rode it until 2008.
Not only does she represents a piece of motorcycle history and an important piece of my family's history, but she's also still running great everyday despite being 46 yo and having 320.000 kilometers on the clock.
Wish they were still building bikes that cool in Mandello :)
I'm not modding her except for my dog's plush attached to the frame and the OMeGA sticker on the windshield. And of course I'm keeping her safe and reliable to ride.
Apologize for the OT

·
Registered
750 Posts
On the Aircooled Duc's the service interval is something like 2 years regardless of mileage, althugh plenty of duc techs have told me 3 is fine. I'm at 4 something now. While the main concern is that they will break, there is a secondary concern about shedding teeth. When I lived in NY I saw plenty of 90's monsters that had never had a belt done where chunks were missing from the teeth of the gilmer belt - they ran fine though. The aircooled engines are interference engines so it's critical that the betls be changed often because a broken belt and resultant cylinder & head rebuild can often exceed the value of the bike. I have always had my duc's done at 3 years. I think the multistrada has something like a 5 year and 15,000 belt service interval, but I don't know those bikes well. It's not a bike that gets bounced off the rev limiter I suppose so there probably isn't a lot of shock loading on it. FWIW I remember changing belts on a 'Strada once and it's like a 20min job start to finish - super easy so why wouldn't you do it regularly?

But that wasn't the only issue with the duc. Tires are now 12 years old and when riding it 2 weeks back I must have hit a sharp stone with the rear because there is a tiny slit exposing cord in the rear. Even though those tires have tubes in them I didn't want to chance riding it because of what a twitchy loaded weapon the bike is.

I was watching Henry Rollins spoken word shows on youtube the other day, and I caught an old show where he said "cynicism is intellectual laziness" and I had forgotten how much that resonated with me. SO I am trying to see the positive in things more often. I don't think anybody buying an SCR950 has any more pretension to take it off road than guys who put knobbies on old non-GS airheads. TO me the bike is a bolt (which is a solid reliable crusier motorcycle) without the uncomfortable cruiser riding position and some vintage styling that I don't have to take my life into my own hands to get - It's easy to be cynical but it is not helping anything.
i say 5 years these days. i ran an m1100 to 36,000km once, due to out of step changes and schedules. ducati went to 5 years on the mts1200 and diavel, and now the majors are out to 30,000km on the 4v bikes as well. scramblers might still say 2 years, but i would do them any more regularly than 5 personally.

i see very, very few belt failures. certainly see more damaged / seized idler rollers on those engines, i keep them in stock now to reduce waiting time for services. esp the m696 - 1100 series.

i had a 1098 come in that had teeth on strands on the vertical, horizontal was fluff and all gone. might have had seized idlers too, it got bought to me after someone handballed it. it had amazing failure of the cams and valves. valves were z, bent above and below the guides. cam looked like you'd put it in a press held in a fixture and stamped the noses - metal peened out evenly both sides on the nose. beautiful failure. piston was cracked from pin to skirt on one side.

tyres with tubes are a worry though. and old tyres. i fitted an old, but not worn 205 to the rear of my m750 because i really liked them (back in the day), but one day it spun up on a wet road (750 have no power) so i thought "hmmm, better ditch that". might have been 15 years old.

agree on the cynacism. and really, the scr is probably a bolt with most of the bolt styling induced stupid fixed. it'd be a great bike for riding, like the kawasaki and suzuki 650 soft road things that i had one bloke tell me was a great bike, but he just hated riding it because it was so bland. he was an old time guzzi bloke, but some people just love that. get on, ride, get off, no thought involved.

but i did see a youtube thing last night comparing a bolt to a sportser 1200 and the sportser creamed it on the dyno. stunned me. it had low 70's, bolt had 50hp. how can a 4v 950 twin have 50hp? even stupid couldn't make it that bad.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
If Ducati built a nice middleweight I'd be interested. If they built a retro Pantah under 600cc that was as good a bike as the original, it would be the last bike I'd buy.
500 Pantah.jpg

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Is he the original owner?
No, he got it as an insurance write off. He had a buddy who made a living repairing crashed exotic cars and would clue him in when he came across bike stuff. This one was lightly damaged. The original rear rim was tweaked (rideable but not quite right) so I rebuilt the wheels for him with the SS spokes and Excel rims. He did all the other mods, many of which were to fix cosmetic stuff.

I was amazed when I saw it sitting outside in that condition. Long story on how it got to that point but it's indoors now and I'm pretty sure he'll return it to it's former glory.

The yellow sport was always my favorite of the line, I was never a big fan of the Paul Smart version. Never bought one myself though. I did see a picture of one done up as an F1, supposedly by the factory. If that had seen the light of day I may have pulled the trigger.

I had a 750 GT roundcase at the time and always thought the GT version of that bike was fooking hideous.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
If Ducati built a nice middleweight I'd be interested. If they built a retro Pantah under 600cc that was as good a bike as the original, it would be the last bike I'd buy.
View attachment 97563
I really liked the look of this concept bike, hard to believe it was 10 years ago. Shame it wasn't ever built.

Attachments

41 - 54 of 54 Posts