Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok since I was sharing this at the SOHC4 board, I figure I would share it here too, although most of you saw it at mid ohio:

a couple of you have expressed interest in seeing pics of my benjie's headlight/tach setup on my 78 cb750F. So here are some crappy garage pics (the cool ones I took at mid-ohio magically got erased). I will give a full writeup once I get to work but I can't post pics from work so here:

and here is a pic of how the bike looked before:

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
is it for electronic tachs only? or is there a big hole for a cable?

hmmm.....

jc

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joe, I drilled a big hole for the cable, and the wires. The tach that is in there now is mechanical. It is a 1982 cb750c tach which has the same 4 to 1 ratio as a SOHC 750 tach (550s use a different ratio). It takes the stock headlight and the stock large cb-4 gauges

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
cool enough headlight mounts and not some that I know.....I think I'd even like them with the mount holes centered in the actual ends

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I keep looking at them and almost think they are the stamped steel emgo's I really dislike (seen too many dump a bucket) but yet they have to be something else

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
wow. huh. it looks just like a vfr tach. but those are electronic. hmmm....

j

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

I keep looking at them and almost think they are the stamped steel emgo's I really dislike (seen too many dump a bucket) but yet they have to be something else
the headlight ears are stamped stainless units. I got them in a box of cb750 parts that hadn't seen the light of day since 1978. They were new in a plastic bag with no markings. Other than the fact they are stamped "made in japan" on the back I have no idea where they came from or who made them. I have the crappy emgo's kicking around my garage and they are utter garbage compared to these. These units are thick with a nice stamped raised section. Seriously if I could find someone to reproduce these cheaply I would because they are so worth it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
uummmmm......sideways headlight? just being picky. oh, btw...still need those kawi cables for the triple? still got 'em on my shelf.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quote:Originally posted by peteN

uummmmm......sideways headlight? just being picky. oh, btw...still need those kawi cables for the triple? still got 'em on my shelf.
yeah the headlight is sideways. I bought it in a swapmeet bin at mid-ohio when the h4 kept blowing out. The p/o installed it sideways in the ring, but hey it was $5 and it worked enough to get me back to NY.

Forgot all about the triples cables, yes I still need them. However I am leaving for new orleans tomorrow morning. E-mail me and I will see if I can work something out (Paypal?)

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
neat, dig stainless

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Cool enough,

Saw a CB360 with a CA77 headlight on it this weekend that I thought was really nice.

As a matter of fact if anybody has one that they'd like to sell...

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
quote:Originally posted by Ratty-550

Cool enough,

Saw a CB360 with a CA77 headlight on it this weekend that I thought was really nice.

As a matter of fact if anybody has one that they'd like to sell...
CA77's are honda dreams. You are thinking of the cb77 superhawk, 305 scrambler, or 450 black bomber. I used to use all three to make up light speedo combo's for cb750s. Rosko has a cb450 unit on his later 450. I used to gut the strock speedo, make my own faces, and use the stock cb750 or minigauge internals, it was a lot of work. benjie's uses the stock headlight and a stock speedo or tach, much easier.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Geeto, would one need especially long headlight ears to mount the headlight? it looks like it is deeper then standard issue headlights and would require longer ears. i just picked one up for the 450! thanks for the write up on it.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
looks to me like the stockers shown in the likely hold the stock-ish bucket further out and higher than the stainless brackets

my favorites (when it comes to readily available) are the cerianni and MV copies

the MV copies are now available in one size basically fits all fork tubes

those types do the adapting with thin bits of isolation rubber if you are concerned with vibration

and I think the sears allstate/puch/bosch/hella type buckets' sexy shape is kinda hard to beat

some have a few extra holes to cover depending on which indicator lights and switch gear you may or may not want to use

I think I have a few pix of one swinging from some one off stainless ears I whipped up if you'd like to see what I'm talking about

have pix of the MV copies too

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mount which headlight? Benjie's? or a Cb77/Black Bomber? The Honda ones take a stock ears. Benjie's, well...I needed longer ears because I have an F which has a different rake and an ignition switch mounted up top but Benjie swears that it will mount with a set of 69-76 stock cb750K ears. I bought benjie's ears which look like stock and are about the same size but you can delete the refectors and gaiters. I am not sure if the stock cb750K ears are the same as cb450 ears.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts