Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Some of you guys are just being jerks. Much as it pains me, I agree with Geeto, with a caveat. A sportster will need some work to make it an acceptable ride. All sportster gas tanks suck, except the one from the XLCR. It will need rear sets and I don't like the general 19 - 16 wheel combo. If it was me I would fit Buel XBR wheels cause I like 17's but I could also live with some 18 spoked alloy wheels. DOn't be tempted to put on shorter shocks or lower the front end. Just get a seat that sits close to the frame rails so it will be low enough. Since you already have had a sport bike with plenty of power, anything that is a "Cafe" bike will be very different in power, power delivery, handling, seating position and brakes.

Welcome,

Ken

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I am very short also and reality is that even many supposed low bikes do not allow you to flat foot at a stop and to do so you need hop your ass of the seat. I found that if your rear pegs allow your knee bend to fold over the seat this is not a hard reach and becomes natural even on taller bikes.

I actually like the monkey bikes, it is amazing how many mods they have done to them and in an urban setting could be a blast.

The OP never mentioned the type of riding they do or want to do?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Ken, almost all the ironheads have an 18" back. I think sportsters switched to 16" in 1980 but with the redesigned evo bikes switched back and reserved the 16" for customs and special models. I know the 2004 roadsters had an 18" rear wheel, and there was some "superlow" version for really short people (midgets?) that had 17" front and rear.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I had a XLCH Ironhead with the 18" rear . The seat was plenty low, ... yet when considering the 5 kick minimum to start the thing, I was too short for it at 5'11 ( or maybe just too skinny back in the '70s )

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
I would only consider an evo sportster. The Ironhead is too cranky and maintenance intensive for me to recommend it to anyone that needs a recommendation. I think they did make a version called the Hugger or some such, but it had serious ground clearance issues since they lowered the suspension to make it short. Plus it was teal and black. I think the sportster Iron has some good potential.

Ken

21 - 26 of 26 Posts