1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Imported in this country:

Yamaha fzr400 (1988-1990)
Suzuki T500 (1967-1976)
Kawasaki H1 500 triple (1969-1976)
Kawasaki S3 400 Triple (I forget what years they made them)
Honda VTR 250
Honda GB500
Honda 305 scrambler and superhawk (1961-1969)
Honda Cb350 twin
Honda Cb450 Twin (1967-1974)
BSA 441 victor
Triumph trophy 500
Norton Manx Single
Norton Dominator
SR500 single (seriously kick ass bike)
there are others....but I am being lazy

Never imported into this country:
yamaha fzr400 (1991-1999)
kawasaki zx400r
CBR400
SR400

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
500 Triumph twin (guess one of my favorite Brit twins of all time) and if you give the same 250cc handicap to side valves that the AMA and most all LSR racing gives

HARLEY or Indian 45's (simple, reliable as an anvil, and you can get just about anything new you want for the HD very reasonably priced too)

Rotax 4 valver

SR or TT500 Yamaha

CB400F

CB350

Xl250

RD250-400 (especially if they are radical choppers like Tylers)

GN400 (because it is very docile, has a kicker, and nobody else will have one)

Silk 500S

Motoguzzi V8 500 (please let me ride it when you get one)

That narrow angle V4 Matchless from the 30's would be nice too

and a bunch more

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
man, you got my 305 Honda and Domi

and I even have a pristine Manxman tank

I kick myself everytime I think about my dumb butt not buying one of several hopped up 305 race bikes fitted with the six speeds, Harmon Collins roller topends, and all the other goodies

several have been sold on ebay in the last ten years but I haven't seen one offered lately

let me know if you run across one with a truck load of spares for a couple hun or maybe even I'd spend more

·
Registered
50 Posts
We're having a similar discussion over at SVRider.com. Personally, I'm sick of the whole "Busa Killer" and "ZX-14R" killer mentality that has seemingly overtaken motorcycle sales in the US. Apparently there's talk of Yamaha releasing a new 2-stroke. I'd give the model and some pics, but SVR is down right now. And I'm terrible remembering older bike models. :(

Yeah, going fast is fun, but give me something small, flickable, and I'll have a blast between 0 and 55... honest, officer. :)

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
The EX500 is certainly one of the best values, and a capable bike. I recently replaced one that was wrecked with a VF500F, which is a cool bike too, till you have to work on the engine. I don't relish the process of taking the V4 apart to replace rod bearings etc...which it apparently needs.
That 500 vertical twin is lookin' mighty good right about now, but I couldn't find one within 500 miles in my budget, which has to tell you something.

FR

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
FR,
Those miniceptors are not too bad to work on once you get the motor out of the frame. The worst part is getting the rear exhaust and the carbs back in place when it goes back together. The motor is really pretty nice to work on without seperate cylinders, everything just goes in from the bottom.

Ken

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i prefer the yamahas, - tw200, rd's sr500s, can't deny the honda 350's obviously because of distribution and reliability. and the kawasaki ex500 is just perfect for a modern bike, cheap, standard, non excess. harder than hell to sell as a dealer.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
perhaps consider marketing and trying to sell those ex500's as motorcycles instead?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
yeah a joke of sorts......

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
quote:Originally posted by kenessex

FR,
Those miniceptors are not too bad to work on once you get the motor out of the frame. The worst part is getting the rear exhaust and the carbs back in place when it goes back together. The motor is really pretty nice to work on without seperate cylinders, everything just goes in from the bottom.

Ken
Got the engine out without too much trouble. You're right, the rear exhaust was and will continue to be a bitch. Once I got the engine out I realized I'd need a stand to disassemble it. The book talked about what I could do with the engine in the frame etc, but I didn't realize they wanted me to actually do those steps before removing the engine.
Anyway, fabbed up a stand. My goal is to have this thing running again by September....

FR

1 - 20 of 21 Posts