Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been throwing around the idea of doing some track days, and wanted opinions and advice for a beginner track bike. This is something for further along in the future, but wanted to get sound advice in case i came across a deal on a bike. Was searching yesterday on the CMRA forums and found some cool stuff, ranging from 2-5 grand. Im 31 years old, fairly athletic/fit, 5'10", 175 pounds. I rode a GSXR-600 on the street for a number of years, as well as raced motocross for many years. I know this is completely different than laying it over in corners and such on a track. I came across the SV-650 as well as others, but am curious as to what size bike is best for a beginner rider. Thanks for the insight.

Clint C

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
for modern sport bikes my old school pic was always the FZR400 but the fact they are rare now coupled with the fact that the SV650 and EX500 is now in most of the same classes and kicks the FZR400s teeth in makes it no longer the case. So Ex500 or SV650.

For entry level vintage racing it's hard to beat a cb350 running in formula cb350.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Geets, it takes quite a bit of motor work to get a GS500 to out perform a superstock legal FZR400. BUt the SV650 basically ended the fun for FZR400 riiders. ;)

Still one of my all time favorite sportbikes. As a matter of fact, when I bought my R6 it was because I wanted a bike that revved to 15K and handled like the 400, but had 600cc power.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How's the little Beezer coming along?
Hey Jack, good to hear from you.

It needs about 1-2 days of work and a new battery. Nothing major, i just need time. School is kicking my ass this semester and the only day i have set aside for it is sundays, but since my daughter started soccer she's had games on those days. Now, outdoor is over and indoor started, so she plays on saturdays and practices on sundays.

I could probably stop being a little bitch and just make time for it though. :) Hope you're doing well and not freezing to death.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
A superstock SV650. It is a better bike than most people are rider. You can build one for under $3k or buy one already done for under 2K. It is easy on tires, brakes and the rider. I don't think that most people will go faster on a Superbike SV than they will on a superstock one.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I recently secured myself an FZR400 for a similar purpose though was also considering the SV650, an interesting 400 came along so I went with it. I've not received it yet though will post more about it when I have it and have spent some time on it.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Go for the twin. The way a twin launches out of a corner is the best feeling ever. I would get an sv or an 90's air-cooled 2 valve ducati. You'll have so much fun

Not to poo poo on vintage racing... it is fun.... but the race tires and the money is almost the same if not cheaper for the modern stuff. The performance you will have from a bone stock sv or ducati will run you a crapload of money and development time with an old cb.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
+1 on the SV650. I spent a couple of grand on my NT650 Hawk to bring it up to stock SV capability, but I never overcame the persistent cooling problems even with a Ninja radiator.
You can save a bundle by buying a salvage or track-ready Japanese 4 or Triumph 675. (Ducatis are great, but parts are expensive.) Insurers will "salvage" a perfectly sound late model sport bike that only has body-work issues. Ex-track bikes usually already have the race goodies for bargain basement prices. It's not uncommon to find used track bikes with very low mileage, as a typical track day will usually rack up only about 150 miles.
Whichever bike you choose, track days are the most fun you can have standing up (so to speak....)

Jim B

1 - 11 of 11 Posts