Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cb450 that is externally oil cooled. I just popped the head and plan to check for warping tomorrow. The motor was built by someone else and the gaskets had NO dressing. No grease, no gasket sealer, no nothin'

no wonder

anyway, I was wondering if people had a 'favorite'

permatex? yamabond? blue cheese? ranch?

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Most Japanese bikes, assuming the parts are straight, don't use any gasket dressing of any sort. I put all my engine together with just gaskets and they don't leak a drop. With the exception of the crankcase halves where I use Honda bond...very little.
They usually come apart very nicely and the old gaskets come off nicely...course I take them apart every couple of years.
I lap all the surfaces on a surface plate to ensure they are straight and clean. A bit of oil on them wouldn't hurt and might help if they are in a location that tends to stick.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In an optimal situation sure but... this head is either warped or the cyl is. I was hoping to throw it back together without decking or pulling the valvetrain out. Just enough to survive the summer. I'm being lazy, should just do it right while I'm in there... damn it.

www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
yamabond it and say three hail mary's and two our father's.

texy

·
Registered
504 Posts
permatex? yamabond? blue cheese?
I only use Hylomar but Permatex doesn't sell it anymore. It seals up my Triumph primary w/o even using a gasket. You can get it on line but the shipping puts the price up to about $20 per tube. I bought enough to last several lifetimes to save on shipping. The price was about $15 each. If you want some I'll be at the races.

FC

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
quote:
yamabond it and say three hail mary's and two our father's.

texy
Tex - you do baptisms? If so, do you use 10w-30 or 15W-50? I figure I got cover all the bases to make sure my youngest is ensured a place in the racing heavens.

Yeller'
---
Ask not what the wanker can do for you, but what you can do for your wanker!

·
Registered
66 Posts
i'm with tex on this one, except four hail mary's might be better. have used yamabond #4 or threebond 1104 (same stuff, just diff. packaging) for years with great success.

if at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
If the heads going to be off...have that baby surfaced if you are in doubt...even lapping on a surface plate helps.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, it looks like the locator pin for the oil return was a bit chewed up, that is the side that leaked. Maybe it couldn't quite seal up like that... I pulled everything out of the head to lap it. May end up lightly reaming the hole for the pin to seat right (at least take the burs out), lap it and THEN do the hail mary's and mother what have you's.

Just to be safe.

The problem is, as always, "well if I'm in here I might as well..." and then the whole damn bike is apart again. I must draw the line somewhere.

www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

·
Registered
453 Posts
one word........ hylomar......thats what the beemer and triumph factories recomend

fat people are harder to kidnap

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
A couple of things. Honda says that if they want a sealant on a gasket, they will put it there. That is why some Honda head gaskets have a shiny part on them. That is some sort of factory sealant. If I am going metal to metal like case halves or some valve covers, I like Yamabond #4 or Threebond #4 or Hondabond. I think it all must be the same stuff. If I am using a dry paper gasket in a suspect place, like reusing a clutch cover gasket or base gasket at a racetrack repair, I like Permatex liquid. It is the purpley nasty smelling thin liquid in a can. If I am reusing a metal headgasket then I use permatex spray coppercoat. I have race tested all of these and they will work if done right. Silicone seal has no place in an engine.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts