Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had an impact screwdriver a few years ago and it was complete garbage.

Well my machinist recently showed me how amazing they can be... but he bought his in the 70s.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good impact screwdriver?

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
what brand did you have?

I have two craftsman impact drivers. One I have had for 20+ years, the other I bought 10 years ago. Both work fine for what I need them to do, and while I don't think I have ever stripped a screw with one, I don't think I ever expected them to get out a stripped screw either.

I hear Garrett Wade and Vessel both make realyl nice ones, better than my craftsman workhorse, but I have never had occasion to use one.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
So I had an impact screwdriver a few years ago and it was complete garbage.

Well my machinist recently showed me how amazing they can be... but he bought his in the 70s.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good impact screwdriver?
The one on top is a Shokdriver from Japan which is good. The next one is Craftsman which works probably just as well, but I never seem to use it. The other two are Snap-on which I prefer. They are nicely built, can get a good grip on them and don't have the knurling (which only really matters if you use them for work... a lot). I wouldn't buy one of those offshore ones that come in the little blue tin case. I had one, but tossed it in favour of the Snap-on. I don't usually recommend Snap-on, because of the price and last time I checked, they weren't as generous with the warranty. Some of their stuff is worthwhile. I prefer their torque wrenches and ratchets. Probably most out there will do the job with good quality bits... which can be a pain to find because there is so much shit out there. However... you can definitely tell the difference in quality of the drivers. The 3rd one down which is as old as dirt has a lot of miles on it and still good as new.

Impact drivers.jpg

·
Registered
703 Posts
A bit of a crossover from the JIS thread but Vessell make a "megadora impacta" that has a tang through design and rotates 12 degrees when hit. Not used them but may be better for any stuck Jap screws.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Mine is identical to that but 20 years older, was it 11 or 17$ I can't remember

B| and my eyes must be getting tired
because for a moment there I read the title of this thread as Breast Implant Screwdriver and thought I better get right onto that one

·
Registered
3 Posts
A bit of a crossover from the JIS thread but Vessell make a "megadora impacta" that has a tang through design and rotates 12 degrees when hit. Not used them but may be better for any stuck Jap screws.

+1 for the Vessell Megadora. I have three sizes of these and they are my go to driver for just about everything. They work just as well as a regular driver as they do when being inpactful. And they are JIS so work on only Japanese bikes as well as moderner ones with Phillips screws.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts