Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a couple searches and can't find this one. What do you guys think is the best service/maintenance manual for a CB750 SOHC?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
I did a couple searches and can't find this one. What do you guys think is the best service/maintenance manual for a CB750 SOHC?
The best manual for a cb750 is the phone number for a service tech that worked at honda in the 70s/80s (luck me I have three).

I personally do not suscribe to the one manual theory and prefer to own as many books as I possibly can on the subject. But I also own a lot of cb750s and am kinda comitted to the make.

The best manual if you have to choose only one is the original honda manual, but try to get a later one as revisions were made through out the model year that may not get covered in a year specific manual. Keep in mind these were written when english/japanese translators were few and far between so some of the language is...ahem...creative at best. If you are going to get the factory manual I recommend also getting the parts list because it has clear exploded diagrams, and a honda model interchange manual. Second would be a clymer and the parts manual w/exploded diagrams.

Personally if there is a job I need the manual I read the oem, the clymers and an old haynes I managed to find at a swap meet. The OEM will give me a basic idea of the work involved, the clymer will tell me how in clear english and tell me short cuts around the honda factory NLA tools, and the haynes just seem to have better pictures sometimes. Combined with the parts manual and exploded diagrams as a back up for incase I forget where the spacer goes or something stupid like that, and I pretty much got everything covered.

Of course at this point all I ever do is check tolerances and torque specs since I have had so many of the damn things apart.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
The best manual for a cb750 is the phone number for a service tech that worked at honda in the 70s/80s (luck me I have three).

I personally do not suscribe to the one manual theory and prefer to own as many books as I possibly can on the subject. But I also own a lot of cb750s and am kinda comitted to the make.

The best manual if you have to choose only one is the original honda manual, but try to get a later one as revisions were made through out the model year that may not get covered in a year specific manual. Keep in mind these were written when english/japanese translators were few and far between so some of the language is...ahem...creative at best. If you are going to get the factory manual I recommend also getting the parts list because it has clear exploded diagrams, and a honda model interchange manual. Second would be a clymer and the parts manual w/exploded diagrams.

Personally if there is a job I need the manual I read the oem, the clymers and an old haynes I managed to find at a swap meet. The OEM will give me a basic idea of the work involved, the clymer will tell me how in clear english and tell me short cuts around the honda factory NLA tools, and the haynes just seem to have better pictures sometimes. Combined with the parts manual and exploded diagrams as a back up for incase I forget where the spacer goes or something stupid like that, and I pretty much got everything covered.

Of course at this point all I ever do is check tolerances and torque specs since I have had so many of the damn things apart.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a big belivier in the multiple manuals. I have 3 for my VW fetish depending on the model(s) that I own, which, at the moment is only one thank God. I'll try to find a Honda Service Manual 1st.

grazie

[/quote]

[/quote]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm a big belivier in the multiple manuals. I have 3 for my VW fetish depending on the model(s) that I own, which, at the moment is only one thank God. I'll try to find a Honda Service Manual 1st.

grazie

[/quote]

[/quote]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts