Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K.! So my 1974 Honda CB360g-I recently took out the engine to replace some of the gaskets. I also took off the old beat up slip ons and replaced them with some triumph tips I found. Now, My bike is having 3 problems:
1. Not idling at all
2. Backfiring
3. Either the clutch or gears are messed because it is hard to shift while moving.
I can get it started and moving buck the backfiring is a bit of a neusance even in the daytime throughout the neighborhood. I read a bit about the idle adjustment screw on the carbs, and that seems to be doing nothing to up the RPM's, I am still waiting on a carb synch. tool I ordered but am scared it may have no use since I cant get it to idle. I changed the spark plugs, battery charged,oil changed, ?? Now what..HELP!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hard to say without being there and doing all the little checks, but here's where I'd be looking:

1) If you pulled the top end, adjust the valves. It's likely that they're too tight, meaning the valves never fully close and you never get full compression.

2) Your clutch cable probably needs to be adjusted tighter. That will likely solve the "clutch or gears messed up" problem, and if the problem is just that your bike isn't idling while in gear with the clutch in, it'll likely solve that problem as well.

3) The backfiring could be caused by a number of things, but typically that's a lean condition. Have you cleaned out your carbs lately? What do your plugs look like? It's entirely possible that the new exhaust has significantly altered your bike's fuel delivery demands and you may need to rejet. Have you tried mounting the original pipes to narrow the problem down?

Don't stress, just deal with the problem systematically. Make sure fuel is flowing into the carb bowls. Make sure both plugs are firing. Make sure both sides are actually running (hand over exhaust outlet is a good indication - a non-firing side will be cool and slappy, and running side will be warm and soft). Set the idle higher than it actually needs to be so you can get it started and adjust.

Most importantly, if the mixture screw doesn't change how your bike idles, rebuild the carb because something ain't right.

A

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright-so i did somechecks and here it is:
It seems that mt 2 cylinder is only running on one side. The right side is not firing up, I cleaned and tested both plugs. I took them both out of the engine and looked for the "blue flame" they both are good. I put them back in and still only one side is coming to. I guess a bike wont idle under the power of 1 cylinder??
Is this a points problem? I have not a clue, ?? what should I do??

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
It won't idle on 1 cyl. It also won't idle with a bad battery. Make sure your battery will hold a good charge. I've heard cb360s drop a cylinder when the battery is weak. Sounds like a carb rebuild in your future also.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It depends how high your idle is set - the twins will run on one cyl, but not if idle is set in the range where it typically runs on two.

This is going to take two people, I expect. Pull off your air filters. Get a can of carb cleaner with the little straw that sticks in the nozzle. Start the bike up, and while holding the throttle so it doesn't die, stick the carb cleaner down the throat of the carb and spray into the carb. Keep your eyes out of the way, there's a backfire possibility.

If that side runs when you do that, then your problem is either in the carb, petcock, tank or fuel lines (most likely carb, anyway the rest are fairly obvious).

Another worthwhile thing to check is whether the idle is held higher on the running side. Just increase the idle speed screw on the non-running side and decrease it on the running side. Still no go?

You said you tested your spark, so all you've got left is compression and timing. Both of those checks are in your manual.

A

1 - 5 of 5 Posts