Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i go out for my first LEGAL street ride today...made it 5 miles and the rear brake locked up. i go to walmart (i was in their parking lot) get wrenches to bleed the system, adjust the lever and boom..works. i hit the road again, 5 miles...brake is locked up. my buddy takes me to my house, i get my truck, i load up. i am GUESSING my seals in my caliper are bad...so i'm ordering those tomorrow. my weekend of planned riding is now shot all to hell. but, i did get the personalized plate i wanted today..."2SMOKE"

·
Registered
241 Posts
You're more likely to have the pedal not returning enough. There needs to be a little bit of slack in the pushrod for the rear m/c when the rear brake pedal is off. Often in adjusting the pedal height to where you wnat it for your foot you end up preloading the m/c and not allowing it to fully uncover the return bleed ports. Check that first before you do any more worrying.

Michael

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope...that isnt the problem, i addressed that first. i figured that is what i did wrong, so i adjusted it way loose (brake plunger was about to fall out even) and it still locked up. ordering seals today...or going to try to

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
may as well get rid of it soon and avoid all the future heart ache

those damn yamahas

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
This on the RD400? Check the manual for the correct way to put the spacers together when putting the rear wheel back on. I've screwed it up and had the brakes lock up at highway speed.

Once.
Experience teaches quickly.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok unga...i'll check that out this afternoon...but i think i might rebuild the caliper too...thanks for the tip man...maybe i will get to ride this weekend afterall!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts