Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
26,142 Posts
I'm not really a big fan of stock framed honda chops either, however can I make a few suggestions:

1) ditch the bars and risers. It looks like you are going for that low (don't say bobber) shorty chop look. That GW front end is already hella long, why not slide it up through the forks. Since that will look kinda funky why not use clip on bars to hide the fact that you slid the forks up through the trees. A while ago I made a pair of ape clipons by cutting a set of 7/8ths ape hanger bars and pressing them into a sportbike clipon brackets I found int he salvage yard. for safety we added a set screw. They looked awsome but it didn't fit my project and I gave them to a friend. Hide the original bar clamp by removing the caps and making a tach mount.

2) I am assuming that you are going to run strut bars and not shorty shocks, right? personally I would go with the shorty shocks, otherwise, why not just hardtail it the traditional way. Go with the shorty shocks, much better ride. With that DOHC rear swinger your shocks are going to be at pretty radical an angle so get heavy springs

3) get tires for those rims soon. I hate mockups where the nice chroms rims get sucffed on the floor. Plus you are going to need them to get your frame height setup.

4) calculate your rake and trail. Nobody wants a dangerous bike but nobody ever seems to do this, they think they can just lower and chop and then scratch their heads and wonder why when the thing gets a death wobble at 50mph.

+1 on currently looking retarded. Maybe, eventually it will look cool but right now...ummmm...well...and I am not even going to get into the problems you are going to have based on that drawing.

As my friend chris is fond of saying: "don't confuse hairy and sweatty with warm and fuzzy", you don't want harsh I'm sure the guys at hondachopper.com will happily suck it for you all day long by telling you your doing a great job.

· Registered
26,142 Posts
it isn't just the rake and trial that bothered me about that - I figured it wasn't to scale or anything - what bothered me about it was that a lot of guys will try to get that low down look and not realize that when their suspension is compressed the rim will hit the pipes or the frame. Also in in relation to the engine, it looks like the down tubes and backbone have been lowered (and the tank will smack the carbs) which when you go to build yours won't look like the drawing at all when done.

as you have probably noticed the GL1000 front end is way taller than the cb750 stocker and sliding it up through the trees and attaching clipons aabove the top clamp is a good way to get you back to stock height and hide the fact that the gl1000 forks are longer.

and the clipons with funky bars coming out are a neat idea, I have started to see guys doing it with springer front ends now which really looks cool.

· Registered
26,142 Posts
quote:

If I ever built a chopper it'd be a hardtail with a cackling, nasty ass dirt bike two stroke in it. Maybe an old YZ490....

Honda go sideways!
JT from confederate showed me a really cool chop he built using an sr500 motor and one of those OIF triumph chopper frames that BCS sells. I have an old laydown drga frame for a kawi triple that I plan on making a street legal digger/chop.

That being said I am also goinna build some bad ass caf racers that will donkey punch your grandma.

Edited by - Geeto67 on Mar 27 2007 8:06:03 PM

· Registered
26,142 Posts
quote:
The coolest chops in history come from bratstyle in Japan.

www.bratstyle.com

those sr500s are the shit.

One man's story
is another man's shame,
Ain't bound for glory
I'm bound for flames
I wouldn't exactly call them the "coolest chops in history" but they are pretty bikes and most of them border on being halfway between cafe racer and low budget chops. Compared to some of the other japanese built bikes I have seen they are kind of plain but then again that is the point.

Japanese bikes always have amazing detailing and an intracacy that bikes anywhere else seem to lack. They really have an understanding of the look of old world processes.

· Registered
26,142 Posts
that is my point, that they are simple tweaks, and small custom stuff and a lot of it is doen to keep the bikes functional. There are soem talented guys working there for sure but one just has to look at zero engineering or Chabott engineering to see there is a whole 'nother level to japanese chops that as americans we are probably only exposed to in small doses. It is not just a matter of different strokes, it is just that our view of what is out there on foreign shores is very small. The sweedes used to be the best chopper builders in the 70's but you hardly hear anything about them.

http://www.zero-eng.com/zeromainnew.html

http://www.chabottengineering.com/page/frameset.html

I mean look at this, it is a pure sex injection with no masturbation:

Edited by - Geeto67 on Mar 28 2007 11:21:23 AM

· Registered
26,142 Posts
ducati based choppers with tubular frames are always gonna be badass. Motocreations I think takes it one step further with their lowriders and the fact that they redesing the trellis frame which is as much a signature part of the duc as that 90 degree motor.

DesmoDevil:

with superbike bodywork:

motospeedster (in the mockup stage - they killed this project)

they also build these duc modern cafe styled bikes :

I don't know what to call this but it is hella cool:

hey quicklime - I think at this point even you'll agree that the line between chopper and cafe racer can be blurry. There is a big difference between the ignorant "let's chop everything" wannabe meathead and real motorcyclists who are inovative and expiremental with a lot of things and border on being artists.

Edited by - Geeto67 on Mar 28 2007 12:34:48 PM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.