Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
I agree...

my CB750 build is purely practical (for me)...

I've swapped out the front end to a GL1000 for the dual discs, wider trees and larger fork legs. I'm going to keep the mid-controls, swap out the swingarm for a DOHC to add some length, I've downsized the brake master from an 11/16 to a 5/8 to improve feel... it's not a performance machine, it's gonna be a highway hauler. I am going to drill the front rotors, and add some cartridge emulators eventually.

There are concessions to "cool" on it. I've added apes, because I find them comfortable, swapped the front rim to take a 16 X 5" tire... and most of the parts I'm using are old, vintage crap that I can find for cheap (pre-war gas taps, a 30 year old Triumph tank, a 60 year old Tractor headlight, 40 year old Triumph risers etc).

I'm not a fan of the over-engineered "look what i can do" bikes... no soul.

Right now, it's a stock frame on 16X3" rims, with a tank precariously perched atop the uncut frame, and it looks like a crackheads monkey bike. I'm hoping to have it on the road by mid summer.

One man's story
is another man's shame,
Ain't bound for glory
I'm bound for flames

· Registered
129 Posts
heh!

here it is.

Threw it together to see if it sat level. It does. Once the DOHC swingarm is on, I'll add a spacer to the dampening rod to compensate.

Horizontal frame rails will be coming out (the tank is about 4 inches higher than it will be in the pic because of them) with all the necessary gussetting and reinforcing of course.

That's my 350 in the background, should be on the road in a couple of weeks.

The tire to the left is my buddy's ground up rigid SOHC build... it's pretty sweet.

ugly isn't it? :D

One man's story
is another man's shame,
Ain't bound for glory
I'm bound for flames

· Registered
129 Posts
It's my '72 CB350.

It's getting a CB750 front end, Thomaselli clubmans and a 1/4 fairing this week (hopefully... depending on whether or not I get off my ass).

Then I'll ride the snot out of it all summer, and as time permits, it's getting some wrapped CL350 pipes, with a megaphone collector, some rearsets and a leather cafe seat made by yours truly. The plan is to tear it all down next winter and paint it... "cast iron" sliders, frame and niggly bits, with flat black tins and fairing.

One man's story
is another man's shame,
Ain't bound for glory
I'm bound for flames

· Registered
129 Posts
Retarded? That's a little harsh... I think you just lack imagination. It'll end up exactly how I want it to.

As for the beer... I don't drink. That's my buddy's garage.

Here's my initial idea... original drawing stolen from Armuss at homemadehonda.com, and altered to fit my ideas.

One man's story
is another man's shame,
Ain't bound for glory
I'm bound for flames

· Registered
129 Posts
Alright.

NO. I have no f*&king interest in hardtailing bikes. No struts, no hardtails, no rigids. I have two blown discs in my back already, and there's no way in hell I'm suffering through another crushed sciatic nerve. The 12 1/4" shocks are staying.

Scuffed chrome wheels? They're getting painted.

Rake and trail? Rake is going to be stock, and since the 16' tires I'm using are almost the same diameter as the stockers... I'm not too worried. It'll be right when I'm done.

No I'm not shoving forks up through the trees. If it comes down to it, and I need to shorten the forks more than a spacer can handle, I'll buy new legs.

Thanks for the input... but I thought it was fairly abvious from the pic that the only thing done to the damn bike was lacing and truing the wheels and adding a GL front end so far.

The risers were thrown on to see if I liked them. I don't. They make it look like a praying mantis with a broken back.

As for the drawing... yeah, I can see the f&^ked up trail in that... it's a pic made with PAINT for f*&ks sake. And as you can see from it, I enlarged the front wheel to see what 21" would look like, I'm going with a 16"... you guys have never "photochopped" a bike for shits and giggles before? So any "problems" you see with that pic can be attributed to my artwork.

Damn... have some foresight.

At the end of the day, I'm building it for me. It'll be safe, it'll be comfortable, it'll be rideable, and it'll be dependable. If it looks retarded to you.. so be it, I'm not building it for you.

I'm not looking for anyone to "suck it"... but I'll keep your suggestion in mind for those cold lonely nights.

One man's story
is another man's shame,
Ain't bound for glory
I'm bound for flames

· Registered
129 Posts
but I will admit to liking your clip-on idea. :)

One man's story
is another man's shame,
Ain't bound for glory
I'm bound for flames

· Registered
129 Posts
The backbone and downtubes are remaining uncut... All I'm gonna do is lower the seat rails so they're in line with the backbone, and put a 11" X 5" oiltank in there.

One man's story
is another man's shame,
Ain't bound for glory
I'm bound for flames

· Registered
129 Posts
got any pics of it when you stripped it down, slapped your sporty tank and on it and sat on it envisioning it done?

One man's story
is another man's shame,
Ain't bound for glory
I'm bound for flames

· Registered
129 Posts
Different strokes...

I fail to see what people "see" in modern power cruisers, or 800 pound fully faired garbage wagons... or fuel injected plasticized sportbikes.

I like vintage bikes... period bobbers, garage built chops, homebuilt cafes, stock vintage bikes (some of 'em...)

Homemade Chops are cool because they're unique. Not all chops are ill-handling, underpowered pieces of crap, and many have as much effort put into their performance as Cafes... an off the shelf "chop" (factory custom) is a lump of overpriced ass-jewelry

At the end of the day, it's two wheels and an engine. Some can lean further, some are more comfortable, some go way too fast, some lump along at a sedate pace. They're all fun.

One man's story
is another man's shame,
Ain't bound for glory
I'm bound for flames

· Registered
129 Posts
The coolest chops in history come from bratstyle in Japan.

www.bratstyle.com

those sr500s are the shit.

One man's story
is another man's shame,
Ain't bound for glory
I'm bound for flames

· Registered
129 Posts
Like I said.. different strokes.

I love the simplicity of Bratstyle bikes...nothing says mechanical masturbation more than overworked custom bikes.

Their bikes look like the perfect ride for ripping through town... to me.

and "donkey punch my grandma".... eeww.

One man's story
is another man's shame,
Ain't bound for glory
I'm bound for flames

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.