Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I like things german the engineering is awesome to the max none better as far as engineering goes from VW to porsches.So what the history or vintage beemers to look for or stay away from .I know they are sought after even the older stuff but just incase I stuble on something good for less.
Geeto please open your card catalog and fill me in to the meat of the bimmer matter of motorcycling.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
bull, I have a beemer and it is a joy to work on (unless you snap a spring inside the tranny!)

If you are looking for a classic street bike go with a slash5 or slash 6. Here's a good steal in our area:

r90/6 and r75/6
Two bikes, both barn finds, have title for both. Black 90 minus mufflers, sidecovers and seat, has mounts and fairing, copper 75 complete, both have luggage racks and luggage, both have undented tanks, neither crash damaged. 90 engine locked as is front brake on 75. Bikes are located near NYC.
Price: $1,750cash OBO

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
since you are SOOOOO into "cafe's" I'll mention that the airheads make great caferacers, with the shaft drive and opposed cylinders they make for a very clean looking machine:

not mine by the way, just poached off the webster.

now that I look at it, it is a bit weird that the passenger pegs stayed AND the stock peg location...

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
see im a lame duck I know nothing r k or any other disignation and as your a 450twin freak you have good eye for design and thats a nice beemer.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
My beamer knowledge is a little sketchy, I am after all a jap bike guy with a slight fetish for the euro stuff. Airhead beamer stuff coined the phrase "Stone simple", heck the beamer airhead club's motto is "simple by design".

Personally I would stay away from any of the slope framebeamers and flatheads, as prewar and war bikes tend to draw big bucks. Plus they tend to be smaller in displacement and I am not 100% sure any prewar parts availability. Beautiful bikes but not the sort of thing I would throw a leg over to pop down to the super-marche

SO starting with 50's beamers you have the birth of the /2 bikes. Expensive but the bread and butter of classic bmws, they have the look, the sound, it all. Plunger frames and yet they still handle better than anything made for the next 20 years after it. most of these bikes are 500cc and 600cc machines. Notable 1950's models are the R69, in 1955 and the R69S in 1960 (putting out a whopping 35 and 42 hp to the previous /2s 28hp). The only ones I ever see come up for sale are restored bikes, I think you need an insider to more easily find projects as they seem to be traded amoung airhead owners almost exclusivley. /3 bikes were made from 51-54 and are much rarer (18,000 units for the whole run). /2s got a bump in hp for the 1960's and continued to be the mainstay bike until 1969. As far as prices go who knows, but I once turned down a $1500 original gold 1962 r50/2 in rough but running shape and everyone I talk to tells me that was a huge mistake.

Incidently the /2 frames are preffered for the famous VW engine conversions that people did to these bikes in the 70s. Apparently a 1600cc VW aircooled mill makes these light, lithe machines real roadburners. This was actually a mass produced kit at one time but plans for it are still out there.

starting in 1969 and going until 1973 you have the first of the modern BMW airheads - the /5. These bikes were bargains up until recently, altough if you look you can still find good ones trading in the $2800-$3800 range, espically the smaller ones. Made in 500cc/650cc/750cc variety the R75/5 is fast aproaching brit bike prices ($8K+) but the 650 is I think the bargain of the bunch. A friend of mine, Jackie Jumanville, had an 810cc R75 that could haul the mail plus some. The chrome tank was once panned as being tacky but now is the charm of these old bikes (as is the headlight mounted speedo), although there is a 5 gal tank that is just a monster for crossing the dessert (I can't remember which tank is actually called the toaster tank - I think it is the chrome one). Made in other colors besides black (copper and blue are the prettiest) this is the Beamer vintage do it all guys want to have. I had a friend in New Orleans with an R65/5 with 150K on an unrebuilt motor and an album of pictures of him fully loaded down including one time he took a bicycle with him. This is the last full model line from bmw to come with a kickstart (the 74 /6 had one but it was one year only, 75 got rid of them).

This is about where my knowledge ends on these bikes. The /6 and /7 bikes are still vintage feeling bikes (sans kicker) made until 1979, and can still be had for a modest price. If you have to have a classic with somewhat contemporary hp levels (60hp) go for the r90/6, nice bike and still kinda cheap, and definatly classic looking. the R100/7 is a little too modern looking (for a 70's bike) and doesn;t make any more hp than the r90/6

I will mention the R90S (73-76) because 900cc airheads decked out in cafe racer bodywork and fade paint schemes (blue, black, and orange as the three colors all fading to white at the front) are hawt. Expect to pay for these suckers but they will be worth every penny:

R90s in orange:

the R100s picked up where the R90s left off and looks almost as good but you don't see as many of these around for some reason.

All in all there really is no such thing as a bad beamer (unless it is in boxes from con rod failure).

Seth has an R80GS upgraded to R100 in the engine and I have to say That bike flies. It is an enduro so no real cafe' ability but still what a cherry of a bike.

here is a good link where you can look up the specs of the different models with pictures:

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/bmwmodels.htm

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SEE!.. newbies and lurkers why Geeto is the historian,genius pure genius.To keep this stuff in your head......its just amazing ,well its really genius.Never only, what is in his head, but he always, has links and pictures to back it up.Some bike magazine should recognise and keep this guy on salary and speed dial.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
A while back I mentioned Harley copying BMW bikes during WWII so that comendered BMWs could be put to use for the allies. Well that model was the HD XA (The WLA was harley's v-twin military model).

The XA was a direct copy of the BMW R71 motorcycle right down to the flathead engine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_XA

http://jeffdean2.home.att.net/h-d.htm

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/classics/bike.asp?id=71

All these links say the XA never made it into combat service, and that might be true, but when my grandfather was still alive I used to ask his WWII army buddies about bikes and they remembered flat twin bikes, although what they may have remembered were captured and repainted R71s. Incidently BMW stopped making the R71 in 1941 and chose to make the R75 sidecar rig (two wheel drive) for the remainder of the war.

Incidently, the R71 was still in production as the Dnepr in the USSR well in to the 80's, and the R75 sidecar rig is still in production as the Ural (which you can buy here) and the Chang Jiang 750. These are not copies like the HD but actually made from the tooling the russians stole from BMW at the end of WWII (actually the Germans shared the R71 with the russians untill 1940).

you want to read som fun stuff:

http://www.vintagesidecar.com/history.htm

http://www.vsidecars.com/info/MotorcycleHistory/page1/

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
btw if anybody has $4000 to burn and wants to live their WWII fantasy of chasing Steve McQueen on an R71 (the side car rig in the movie was an R75, McQueens was a Triumph), here is a guy selling CJ750s in Boston:

http://www.vintagesidecar.com/order.htm

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Geeto67 I like that listing just two things came to mind he hasnt a title,has a reserve and he found one running cheaper .....I may keep looking I like the lines on that scoot..nice find!
Ive been busy, looking up your links.

Edited by - LiLBull on Aug 11 2007 6:38:53 PM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Jim,

the incomplete boxer is kinda mothballed right now. I haven't seen that bike anywhere since the works show last year.

BTW there is a good chance it will be at this years works show so yet another reason to show.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im so glad to have learned about incomplete race team,after looking over the site I am cCOMPLETELY CONFUSED,a bunch of guys that dont know each other, never meet and have a race bike together, thats not finnished, the engine to be fitted in 04.Oh well nice pictures and Im glad a picture says a thousand words.
But I must say I would feel complete,without incomplete racing team....smirks

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
you really want to blow your mind:

http://www.ti-racing.com/

everything built from scratch (including the motor) - this is incomplete's new race bike. Saw it run at Mid ohio and it is awsome. 650cc single, FI, all of it. Gilmer belt cam drive (bike sheds belts after a couple of races).

And for the record the Boxer has been done for a while, has been raced and did pretty well. Now it is a street bike that never sees the street.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
quote:
Jim,

the incomplete boxer is kinda mothballed right now. I haven't seen that bike anywhere since the works show last year.

BTW there is a good chance it will be at this years works show so yet another reason to show.
The TI Boxer was at the Javits show this past January. I'd hate to think something so cool looking has been relegated to show bike/garage queen duty.

LilBull,

The bike is finished and road/raceworthy. The website on the other hand..... They've gotten a write up in Classic Bike in the UK (in an article with a Guzzi cafe bike) and been in the American Flyers section of Cycle World.

Even as an unfinished website, there's lots of good ideas to take away. I'd love to figure out a single sided wire wheel for a chain drive with a drum brake. I know a few dirt bikes had a set-up like this but they didn't use cush drive.....

Jim

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
looks like side cars have some ideas in that direction already mapped out just need to find a bike that did what your looking for.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts