Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my friends bmw , he describes it as a rust rod..
i painted it, originally he wanted it in Gulf Racing colours but when he saw the baby blue paint he said just leave it at that!
its a cool looking everyday rider..

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
WOW, Paint job looks great, and that color really stands out. I think I would have gone with black on this one. Or at least go all the way with the gulf colors. Baby blue, that's a cool way to come out of the closet:D.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
FYI - starting in the 1970s if you paid for your BMW motorcycle in advance they would paint it any color they have in the paint shop (and some they could order). It is a practice still used by the motor werks today.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
all bmws up until the early mid 80s i believe were hand pinstriped by ONE guy!

i like the off white with black stripes myself. or fuck it, the gigantic 11 gal heinrich alum tanks like turnbull has. just bare alum.

sweet!

rosko probably saw it around brooklyn when turnbull was living there.

j

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I always heard that little old ladies applied the pin-striping. A proper restoration will duplicate the imperfections in brush stroke variations. I guess I'm a traditionalist, not a fan of bright colors on airheads. you can have any color, as long as its black with pin-stripes.
Flat-top Bings, unique to 1978 models I believe.
That is a Police tank isn't it? Don't see many of those.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
tim courts and mike o rode back form california. tim with a /2 with a built 1600cc vw motor in it. it was a "kit", with a hack. i had pics.....someplace....if i still have em.....ill post a few. a few r69 guys around here. chris m still rides his.... daily now as his r100 took a shit....after like 200k miles.

it roached the tranny though. he made it virginia, then had it hauled back to baltimore where we swapped it in my garage.

·
Registered
744 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

Ps, cool fact about /2 #11: it is so easy to put an air-cooled vw engine in them that it was a common swap in the 60s and 70s and companies even sold kits to do it.

bike in white. old mate built her at home in 72. stops you in your tracks when you see the second pair of mufflers.

looks good in white to me. nice contrast to the rank and file and suits the lines.

old mate with the gulfy blue girl built a good looking rideable sorta rocket. love the mappocket. totally at odds with the seat and near pommy arse end look but so practical. upswept back bongs look the part too.

·
Registered
744 Posts
am liking said seat. and the rear end treatment, and the map pocket. the two former aren't something i'd expected with the latter but it gels quite well i reckon.

as for the poms, had meant the look, not that you were english. as per this little semi alloy framed darling:

i prefer not insulting people too much if i don't know em:D

now to all the lovely english people out there: you spawned em. your as much to blame as anyone.[:p]

love yas all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts