Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Never seen that! Seems a lot more complicated than a single crank, but neat nonetheless!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
You must admit BMW engines look really cool when you cut big holes in them.

… looks like you could actually move the swingarm pivot point slightly forward. (in theory;)
Yeah maybe I could.. cause I think the drive shaft is angled down so maybe I could bring the wheel up with a different suspension and it would level out the difference? Idk. Sounds sketchy

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Yeah maybe I could.. cause I think the drive shaft is angled down so maybe I could bring the wheel up with a different suspension and it would level out the difference? Idk. Sounds sketchy
It's angled down to allow for the suspension to compress. Plus it is advantageous for good road holding to have an angle on the swingarm.

Stop thinking about things you can't afford or are unnecessary - save your pennies for getting things that will at the very least make the bike run.

I'm hoping we don't see this thing in multiple boxes on CL in 6 months.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
^good advice.. and I'd be really sad I'd it ever came to that!
Make sure it doesn't! :cool:

And just to expand on the swingarm angle thing - when the bike is fully loaded and under power the ideal is that the swingarm is pretty much straight in relation to the gearbox output shaft. Shaft drives have universal joints and they don't take kindly to extremes of movement under load (unlike chain and sprockets which can handle any amount).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Gotcha gotcha.. I didn't really wanna do all that extra work for something that seemed no bueno anyway

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
The BMW engineers knew what they were doing regarding swingarm setup angle and steering geometry. The Germans turned London into a bomb site with neat rockets and were pretty snappy dressers back in the day, so take heed of their knowledge.

Keep the bikes fork length and shock length as Herman and God intended. Or you might meet God, and never Herman not.

Some dumb bike custom mob had a bike on one of the hipster bike T shirt cartoon websites recently. They modified the swingarm pivot so the swingarm would 'rest' in a straight line. Dumb all round. I'd rather ride a bike designed by a German chassis engineer over an effort by poved-out Spaniards. You have to give the Spanish credit for trying though. :)

Que? Is hamster.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think the Airhead in Whitworth"s post is cool. The best thing to do is sift through the advice given here and decide what is relevant to your idea of building a Bike.

Leave the swing arm, as a new comer to bikes you won't get to the limit yet (or should'nt try right now)

Fit a couple of Mikunis, get the thing running, get new Tyres, and ride the thing. Then save up some money for the nice bits you want and do it slowly.

It would however be a good idea to pull the heads and check the bores, its a simple job to do on those bikes.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I have yet to see a barn find BMW from the pre-nikasil era that didn't need everything from the piston pin up done (Rings, seals, gaskets, valves both guides and seats, etc...) in order to just be a runner. Budget $1000 at a minimum if you are going to do all this your self.

If you haven't seen this yet...then read every stinking thing on the site and do all that apply to your bike. I know it is literally the worst designed 1990's retro website on the internet but there is enough info to keep you busy for two months.: Snowbum BMW Motorcycle technical maintenance articles, snobum, Airhead, K-bikes, Oilhead, sidecars, prostate cancer, insurance

If you don't know Bob's BMW, get to know them: Bob's BMW | Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have yet to see a barn find BMW from the pre-nikasil era that didn't need everything from the piston pin up done
BALONEY.

What you don't see in this photo is the crushed left side head-

I got this bike running pretty well in one afternoon. The forks were a bigger problem, having been left with the weather boots holding rain water...

Sold it before I had a chance to really make it look nice, but it had some guts, and was only an R60

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
you live in Texas where nothing rusts. I'm from the Northeast and live in the Midwest now where things rust so fast they sell "rust warranties". I'm still surprised that it didn't need at least pushrod seals and base and head gaskets. Or did it and you just rode it leaky anyway?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Texas is far from a "no rust zone" They don't get the salt that the north east....and even more in northern Ohio...., but Houston, where I grew up gets over 30" of rain annually. And the average relative humidity is 75%.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I'm still surprised that it didn't need at least pushrod seals and base and head gaskets. Or did it and you just rode it leaky anyway?
I got a new head gasket & rocker cover gasket with the replacement head I got from Boxers by Bruce. That was it. No leaks.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts