Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last winter I built a 1992 BMW K75 RT to K75 Street Tracker. Since the bike was reasonably good, I choose not to repaint the frame, swingarm and engine, but let the bike have its patina. I tried to maintain early 90'ies style, that's why I didn't use any mini bar end mirrors or led blinkers/lights. Tried to figure it out how BMW would have done it in 1990.

Playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG3Dm_A2c_g8BFGDJpFaeWxBayPpRsa3X

"Executive summary"

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
1980's K bike was designed in the early mid 80's.

... by the 90's they were trying to make that ABS brake system smaller and not need the bigger battery :|

... then eventually they went totally crazy and turned the motor sideways abandoning decades of tradition lol

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
This is an interesting bike. I don't think it is a "street tracker" in any sense of the phrase since "street trackers" are literally street legal flat track racers and this bike emulates nothing about flat track racing. However, I still think it's a pretty good custom, it isn't the usual "let's cut everything off of it" like you see with most flying bricks. Instead I think this bike captures the oft forgotten "roadster" genre of motorcycles - a solid GT bike or "vintage sport tourer" that seems to get overlooked these days.

What I like:
- the sensible bars
- the windscreen
- the blackout treatment
- the removal of a lot of the plastic bodywork that these bikes normally have and the simple plates covering stuff up.
- the length of the seat and that it is a fully hinged and functional piece (also the fit and finish of it).
- the exposed exhaust header
- that it has all signal lights and fenders
- upgraded rear shock
- the tires.

What I don't like:
- the thickness of the seat indicating it's probably firm and not very comfortable for long rides
- the modern looking muffler and what looks like multiple adapters visible under the foot peg

Good job. It's a proper motorcycle that is sporting, fully custom, and looks comfortable to ride for long periods.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I agree that I wouldn’t call it a “street tracker”, but I like it. It’s well done. And I like the GP pipe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Water pump seal was leaking coolant, so the seals and ruined shaft must be replaced.

Also changed fork bushings.

My K75 also got a facelift with BMW R Nine T Urban GS fairing. Welding the headlight/meter/fairing mount was lots of measuring, bending, welding and grinding. I also replaced the OEM fork brace by self made version. Fork boots didn't really fit so good with the OEM brace. Both were powder coated. Since the style not really is pure street tracker, let it now be K75 ST, by the R80 ST, the sister model of R80 G/S.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also starter needed overhaul. Cleaning and replacing brushes, bearing and bushing. Removing the bearing was a bit tricky. Just the smallest Bahco puller was thin enough, but too short, so I found a quick, but uggly solution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts