Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have an 1981 bmw R100RS, it comes with the uglier new black Airfilter which jets out over the top of the engine block.
like this one.
BMW R100GS R100GSPD Airhead Breather Box Air Box | eBay

I want to replace it with the older version one which i've been seeing people do like all the BMW's being done by CafeRacerDreams in madrid.
Like this one
Crd Motorcycles | CRD#54 BMW R100RS - Crd Motorcycles

The problem I have is I am seeing a whole bunch of different variations of that old air filter, And i dont know which one goes on my bike!
for example this one
BMW 78 R100 R90 R80 R100RT R80RT Breather Box Air Box | eBay
Comes with one oil drip tube on the right side.

And this one has holes in the back, which im not sure I need or not.
BMW R65 1979 mileage unknown Airbox | eBay

And then this one has two oil drip tubes for the left and right side.
BMW R65 1979 mileage unknown Airbox | eBay

Non of the mechanics around me know including BMW garage because its not the airbox thats supposed to be on it. But i've seen so many people do this retrofit and non of the ones ive contacted will help me, and I really want todo it because it just looks so much cleaner!

Any help would be VERY appreciated!!!

Can't wait to get it done :)

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Forget the ones off smaller motors, they may have a smaller airflow capacity.

Don't plan on running one with big holes pointing backwards to the back wheel if you are not running a fender. Dirty water sucked in will wreck the motor very fast.

Keep using the one that came with the bike. Those long pipes that jut forward mean the motor gets cooler air and more stable air through the airbox, meaning the motor runs better, smoother and quieter. You may have to retune the carbs if you use an older model airbox.

You can't see it while you are riding, so forget about it.

BTW, what makes you think that CRD bike actually runs, or runs right?

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

Well I know CRD have made up to 60 bikes and i know a few people that have driven them and they all say they run smooth as anything, Its the airbox that engine used for basically 10 years of production so it really cant be that bad... The alternative is fitting one and putting open pods on the carbs and re tuning.

I just really like the look of it and lets be honest, we are riding vintage bikes because of the look and feel, not to race it around a track. If I wanted something for that i'd be driving a new bike.

As far as forget the ones off smaller motors goes, Thats where im having trouble. The ebay listing says r60 r80 r90 r100 etc etc. I cant tell which one is going to fit.

I appreciate the advice but I am either going to put one on and use it, or take the whole airbox out and put open airfilters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts