Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

With a few good bits of advice from guys here I'm nearing completion of my CL175 Endurance Racer.

So I made a fiberglass tail for it and franly didn't take into account the width of the frame very well when I did this. I really don't want to scratch this project so I was hoping someone could give me some input to help me put this to bed. I have to do a lot of testing before the event and I'd like to take it out and start breaking it right away.

The issue is I have about 3/4 of an inch on each side of the tail between the frame and the tail. I have 3 frame inserted bolting points I'd like to use but will weld in some fasteners if someone knows where I can find such a thing. I am going to put a bead of foam along the top inside edge [where the top and side meet] of the tail to absorb some of the impact between the seat and the frame. No problem there the issue is with the left to right movement. I would like to avaoid stressing the fiberglass in that direction. I considered spacers with rubber grommets on each end. Any advice on this idea?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
As long as the mounting points are a secure fit, with maybe a rubber insulator/washer, I don't think you need to worry about the gap. I guess that depends on the thickness of the 'glass though.
I use some fuel line as a cushion between my frame and seat, just taped onto the frame rail. You could do something similar with some heavier rubber hose maybe, but 3/4 of an inch is a big gap to fill.

FR

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I think you have the right idea, you can get weld-on threaded tabs and such from Chassis Shop (look it up), you could hit up mcmaster for some vibration damping sandwich mounts (mcmaster page 1350) I use these for my seat and gas tank, OR you could fabricate some threaded mounts- find some small thick walled tubing or use bar stock, drill + tap and cut to size. weld on and good to go! Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quote:Originally posted by FR

As long as the mounting points are a secure fit, with maybe a rubber insulator/washer, I don't think you need to worry about the gap. I guess that depends on the thickness of the 'glass though.
I use some fuel line as a cushion between my frame and seat, just taped onto the frame rail. You could do something similar with some heavier rubber hose maybe, but 3/4 of an inch is a big gap to fill.

FR
I do have a 1/4" thick foam I am going to place on the bottom side of the seat to rest on the frame. this should do the trick - I hope.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote:Originally posted by ROSKO

I think you have the right idea, you can get weld-on threaded tabs and such from Chassis Shop (look it up), you could hit up mcmaster for some vibration damping sandwich mounts (mcmaster page 1350) I use these for my seat and gas tank, OR you could fabricate some threaded mounts- find some small thick walled tubing or use bar stock, drill + tap and cut to size. weld on and good to go! Let us know how it turns out.
I don't have the McMasters book and I hear they are pretty hard to come by even if you order a lot of product from them... I do have a friend who orders from them regularly and will see what I can do about getting a gander at his book. the Chasis Shop. Is this a catagory or an actual name of an online source? I will look up this to see and see McMasters as well.

Thanks for the heads up.

Kev

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the links Craig. I found the Dampining mounts on Mcmaster and they look great. I burrowed down through the Chasis shop website but didn't find exactally what I was looking for there.

Kev

1 - 7 of 7 Posts