Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
ok, we have a lot of genius guys on here...and lots of parts between us all. what about finding a class, and building a bike to take down the record? i would gladly chip in in any way i could, and i will volunteer to be the rider. AMA pro license (by the first of the year) and the ability to get down to 150lbs (im at 160 now)...i have a good resume! LOL!! besides, a flattracker is currently the fastest man on two wheels, so i just think its best that you put a flattracker on the caferacer.net entry...HAHAHAHAHA!!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The difference between modified and altered are numerous. One of the differences is the engine and frame manufacturer must be the same. My Norton has a bone stock frame but has a Weslake engine. I'm in altered because of that. There are wheelbase alteration limits (max. of 10% increase over OEM), seat height, gas tank capacity (min. 5 liters), foot rest position limits in modified. In altered you don't have a wheel base limit, seat can be lower than than the top of the rear tire, any capacity gas tank, footrest position is where you want them. There are a few other differences but they are the main ones. Production rules state that the bike must look exactly like th production model. You must use the OEM throttle bodies and exhaust. The muffler can be gutted but the exit hole must be stock. The best rule of all in production states "All performance modifications must be out of view".

So who's got a 305 Superhawk with a small supercharger and go murder that dream's record?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I meant to add that on the SCTA site (scta-bni.org) if you click on to El Mirage records you will find a list of all clases except modified. Modified and altered run together at El Mirage. El Mirage also has minimums because of club points. Running at El Mirage means you are collecting points for your club so to prevent cherry picking they have minimums. But it will give you an idea of all the classes available. Bonneville has no minimums as club points are not at stake. If anyone has any questions as to the class designations, just ask.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I literally gave away my 305 dream a month ago for nothing....now you are telling me I have to buy another one.....sheeesh

·
Registered
838 Posts
The motorcycle world speed record was broken just this morning. The new record, set at the salt flats by the Ack Attack streamliner, now stands at 360.913mph.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Geeto67, Get Borzwazie's B/Day 450 and figure a way to put a supecharger on it. The 500cc MPS/BG (modified partial streamlining blown gas) record is only 82.354. Do you want a Bonneville record without breaking the bank? Its there for the taking.

Bret posts that Ack Attack set a new world record. A big congrats on that. The kicker is that if Ack Attack is running in the streamliner blown fuel class he is 9.1mph short of the required minimum for membership in the 200mph club!!

·
Registered
699 Posts
i'm a little upset about my boy chris carr no longer being the fastest man on 2 wheels, but congrats to rocky robinson! hopefully the BUB streamliner and chris will mount a challenge!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Hey 2smoke, Why don't you get one of your dingers and put a little supercharger on it. The rules don't say it has to be efficient it just "has to raise the intake pressure above atmospheric". And go chase that Honda record. 74.905mph. Surely somebody has something that can beat it. I'm planning on going back next year to try and raise my record to over 120. Theres a guy building a CX500 turned sideways so its chain drive and he's going after my record. I have a surprise for him.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
How old are you Hoof? I'd just like to know how many yrs I have left.

·
Registered
699 Posts
i do have a "built" RD 400 motor sitting in the garage...and i could throw it in my rotax chassis...it would be pretty wild though trying to charge that bike though..i really don't know if i'm up to that kind of challenge. boy would jetting be a nightmare then!! HAHAHAHA!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Judeyramone

How old are you Hoof? I'd just like to know how many yrs I have left.
I'm ancient, just shy of fossilising. I'm 62. I started riding around 1958 or 9. Too far back to remember. A couple of years ago my wife was looking for something. I said its out in the garage in a box. I started looking and came across a box of old trophies. I hadn't seen them in years and opened it. The first trophy I unwrapped said Amatuer Ultra Lightweight, Ascot Park, 1963. I thought Holy Shit!! Thats 44 years ago!. Then I realised that hopping on a bike still give me the same thrill as it did all those years ago. Somebody once wrote. "We have no choice in how or when or where we die. Only in how we live". I made my choice and have never regretted it. I'm not done yet. So how many years you reckon you got left?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
a 450 I don't think I can swing but I could do it with a cb500, I would just need to make a few design changes to the turbo setup I have been working on for a cb750 for a decade. Partial streamliner means I can run a full fairing. I could even do it with a cb400f also. hmmm......

Rosko has a parts cb450...maybe we could use that. What do you say rosko? a NYC vinmoto saltflats liner?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Partial streamlining can be anything from a handlebar fairing to something like Carl's Speed Shop Harley. To be honest if you fitted a turbo it wouldn't have to work as the tech guys don't check. If its hooked up and looks like it works you'll pass tech. But if you're going that far it might as well work and provide a boost. If you look back through the threads here you'll find Tom Mellors Triumph. Another example of taking it to the limit. The seat on his is illegal for SCTA. It would take a bit of trimming.

By weslake at 2008-09-27

So, How many years yu got left to do this?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Somebody say the word...I have a CB450 with a fresh top end, just needs electrical/iggy and bodywork. And controls/cables/rear-sets. And tires. I'd be all over an LSR attempt with that. Start on the east coast for testing etc...
It wouldn't take much to push me off the fence. I started the build with vintage racing in mind but I kind of lost momentum after awhile.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Remember you guys got the Maxton Mile for testing and sorting. And how hard would it be to sort a CB450 to run over 82mph? You won't need the sort of bodywork Carl's has. Just a simple pie plate would do it. And I'm sure some of you have a spare fairing or two laying about. A caferacers Bonneville special has a ring to it. My Norton started as a vintage racer but wound up at Bonneville and came home with a record.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Hoof,
my street 450 w/ bone stock engine, carbs and pipe far surpasses that speed. Most 450's can handle that speed for long periods of time. IF the rider can handle the vibes... AND I have a cr750 fairing sitting next to the bike already. But I have lost a lot of my love for the DOHC twin, what class would a bike like our Formula CB bikes run in? A stripped down stock bike?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Engine and frame being from the same manufacturer it would run in modified. You can do an awful lot of mods and still remain in modified. You only have to survive the vibes for 2 1/4 miles. Twice for a record. If you don't want it ship it out to me and I'll put a fairing on it and go pound hat record :)

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
quote:I'm not done yet. So how many years you reckon you got left?
Apparently I have 30 or 40yrs. I remember as a kid, when my dad told me about Gary Gabelich & the Blue Flame. In many ways I equate that place with the moon or Mt. Everest... Accomplishments that a relatively few can brag about. Hopefully, you'll still be racing by the time I can get my ass out there.

By the way New Englanders, I'm halfway between you & Utah, so don't drive by without stopping to pick me up. I have no speed parts, or expertise, but I like beer, and rarely run out. That has to count for something, no?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Drinking beer and rarely ruuning out counts or a lot. Heres a link to a story of Bonneville this year. The "Dream Catcher" didn't get to run for various reasons but everyone seemed to have a great time. http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42291

P.S. Delighted to see you have a lot of time. If you have half as much fun as I've had you'll have a great time. Just wish I could do it all over again.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts