Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
i have traveled more miles in a van than i think i have in my truck! i see you are into old vans, and yes, they are very cool, but you just can't beat an extended modern econoline e-250 or 350. wall for the bikes, build a bunk, add some shelves, satellite radio and a decent stereo system and you are good to go anywhere! if you are racing and out on the road for long periods of time, you need to think about a power converter and building what i call a "trucker curtain" that goes around the dash to keep the sun out when you are sleeping. if you are flying solo to the races, an astro van works well and gets better mileage too. my buddy has an astro to haul his dirt tracker in, and he has a bench seat out of an old econoline, he can have everything locked up safe and sound and still sleep well in his van and he is 6'2" 270lbs! the possibilities are endless!!

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
here is a pic of the dodge "yam" van i raced in for a few years. formerly the bucky transporter.....a 2nd generation race transporter.

sold it to three architects who need to haul sheetrock and 2 x 4's...

now property of the philadelphia department of streets.

good luck!

texy

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Vans are great for the job, but they absolutely SUCK to work on. I had a '93 Econoline for a few years, poured money into it on more than one occasion. As cool as some of the older vans are, I'd stay away from 'em for race haulers. I was always relieved when I got to the track without incedent, and swore to God I didn't care if it broke down on the ride home.
Now I have a Ranger pick-up, it sucks but it gets better gas mileage than the van and it's easier to work on. Plus it's handy to have for getting a load of gravel/dirt/mulch or whatever.

FR

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I have a pick-up with a topper. I can get my racebike in the back with the topper in place if I cinch down the front suspension first.

Ken

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:Originally posted by kenessex

I have a pick-up with a topper. I can get my racebike in the back with the topper in place if I cinch down the front suspension first.

Ken
make that TWO bikes...and a weekend's worth of track gear. no wonder the beer didn't fit!

·
Registered
623 Posts
+1 on the Astro. Perfect size, plenty of room inside, a twin blowup mattress fits perfect for sleeping, 22mpg and there are a million of them out there. $2500 on the road, easy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
just scored a 61 sportsman for a hundo running clean little hop in rear end gonna look at tires middle seat and room for a bike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts