Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked this up last night, 1983 Honda CBX550 9,000 miles from new, stunning condition, i paid £400, hoping to double my money [8D]

runs mint and is really quick for 550cc!
check it out..

·
Registered
154 Posts
a) That think is crazy clean.
b) Love that front wheel/brake setup
c) Is that tube between fork caps just to equalize air pressure?

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A yes its a minter
B they call it an 'inboard disc
C yes its an air equaliser for front forks.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
That wheel is called a boomerang comstar and the only US bike they came on was the cx500 turbos (anodized in gold). In canada and the rest of the world they came on everything honda in the early 80s (till about 84) and are pretty much a direct swap if you have a DOHC 750/900/1100. They are cheap to buy overseas but expensive to ship. Down in louisiana there was a bike yard that used to have a stockpile of them.

Love those 550s. I always wished they sold them here instead of sticking us with the cb650 and nighthawk bikes.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Geeto,
Not quite correct. The CBX550 used the inboard disc that looked similar to a drum. The only US model that used that type brake was the VTR250 interceptor and that was a cast wheel. The CX500TC did use that style Comstar, but used conventional discs and calipers for the era.

Ken

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by kenessex

Geeto,
Not quite correct. The CBX550 used the inboard disc that looked similar to a drum. The only US model that used that type brake was the VTR250 interceptor and that was a cast wheel. The CX500TC did use that style Comstar, but used conventional discs and calipers for the era.

Ken
I am doing the best with what I can on a blackberry, couldn't see the inboard brakes on the tiny screen.

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its all immaterial now chaps cos i just sold it for £850 plus £100 delivery :)

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im happy that its gone to an 82 year old guy thats still actively riding bikes [8D]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts