Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I tore into my front brake caliper last night (1973 CB450) to rebuild it etc. but the larger (mechanical) side of the caliper will not come apart. It looks like it had been leaking for a long time as there was crystallized brake fluid all over the bottom.

Anyone have any advise?

·
Registered
453 Posts
drop it into some boiling water for a minute or so, worked like a charm on my 750f calipers

fat people are harder to kidnap

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Marz,
You might want to check the technical FAQ section. I either pump the piston out with the master cylinder, or if that is bad or already off, then a little shot of compressed air will pop it right out.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I will try that tonight.

it was locked in there pretty tight though, I was unable to move at all, not even the slightest jiggle.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
heat and compressed air always worked for me.....wear an oven mitt!

tex

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ugh... I have tried Heat, compressed air, half a can of liquid wrench, tapping, tapping harder, prying, verbal encouragement and literally drinking it under the table....

I think I need a new caliper...

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
hook it up to your master cyl and bleed the air out and then pump that brake lever. the piston will shoot out across the floor at a deadly velocity so aim it at your enemies.

'72 cb750
'76 cb550

·
Registered
66 Posts
if the above methods don't work, try using a grease gun to push it out. a little tricky on the hookup, but it's worked for me several times. sometimes metric grease fittings will fit the bleeder side of the caliper; then block off the hose side with a bolt and washer. this should pop that sucker.

if at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm... I will give that a try since the master cylinder needs a rebuild and the hoses are shot.

At this point I was going to just plop the thing into a bucket of solvent and move on to the engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts