Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this somewhat interesting...

In that article, they say that many top brake fluid brands' base mixture/compound is made by one manufacturer...

All are rather similar but the chart lets you rank by price as well...

Castrol SRF stands out as the only real different brake fluid with a wet boiling above 1/2 of the other's dry boiling points.

I bought a bottle of endless RF650 and the castrol SRF to play with next year. I don't want to open the bottle this year and waste it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I bet you found that the SRF was not cheap. When I worked for the AP importer we sold only AP 600 and SRF. We used to ship SRF to the Indy car teams in case lots (Gallons) and all I remeber now was it was a fortune. I always wondered why it always went to them in gallons. Some of the TransAm teams did use it too but they mostly stuck with AP600 and finally AP650 but that was always in pints.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Wonder what the aircraft industry uses. :sneaky: They usually have the best stuff because they don't like airplanes falling from the sky.

·
Registered
most everything i ride leaks oil
55 Posts
i read once that the soviet aviation mechanics in the afghan campaign referred to one of their jets as the "flying bar" because the brake fluid was mostly pure ethanol.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Wonder what the aircraft industry uses. :sneaky: They usually have the best stuff because they don't like airplanes falling from the sky.
TR, Your comment about the aircraft industry is all in all a hell of a good idea. The very first race car I ever worked on belonged to a girl friends father who was a dentist but also a pilot. He gave me a RAF Riggers hand-book that I used for years. I think a similar manual can be gotten from places like Aircraft Spruce. The book is a wealth of information from the distance between 3/16 " pop-rivets when mending 1/16" ally sheet so you loose no structural strength to the code and composition of approved brake fluid . I always felt that if I built,rebuilt or repaired something and stuck to the instructions in that book it would not fail. Feeling that if it kept guys in airplanes from falling to earth it would keep my race cars from breaking. Over the years I've either been quite lucky or that little book really did help. Most often the cars and motorcycles I have built keep going and finish what they are supposed to.

As far as what brake fluid I think I'll stay with the stock of AP600 I have until I run out then switch to top of the line Motul (I think it's their 650 but not sure) I still think Castrol SFR is the best but very expensive. I also think that you probably shouldn't be using brake fluid for aircraft because of the extreme temp. changes that it would be subjected to all the time. Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts