Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on picking up a pair of those Tommaselli knockoff levers for my XS400 project as the bike only has one lever and it's bend and just haggered looking. My question is what can I do to activate the brake light or just use the foot pedal to activate the light? I was thinking of these unless someone else has used something else that's better for around the same price? The bike is gonna be pretty stripped down so no turn signals, or any other electrical switches as why I'm looking at these levers.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
they have banjo bolt brake light switches that activate from the brake fluid pressure i run mine w/o a front brake light switch. the plastic decayed, the switch backed out and just stayed on, which in turn ran my battery down quick. now i just use the foot brake, which i like because i can pulse it while braking steady on the front, increasing my visibility in theory.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Drum Brake?
Some older motorcycles have a switch built in to the cable. It can often be hidden behind the headlight bucket, but usually requires it to be custom made.
Disc Brake?
Like Corey said, you can replace one of the banjos at the splitter behind the headlight with the banjo w/ the light switch built in.
DG

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
You could always get the hydraulic switch (easy) or you can mount a microswitch and a small metal tab to the brake lever (cheaper but not so clean, probably).

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I'll just end up using just the pedal to activate the light. I want the bike to be as clean and clutterless as possible. This is how my CM400 is now as the switch broke on my lever.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll just use the brake pedal. It'll get me to use the pedal moreso then just using just the front brake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts