Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are my options if the new dual piston caliper i got off ebay is a bit too narrow for my super thick cb 350 rotor??

do they make thinner rotors for different years? its a four bolt pattern 75' cb 350 wheel.

is there a safe way of widening the caliper halves?

...or can i run the brake pads through a planer/belt sander without glazing them?

or are those all dumb questions?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Can't you just get your rotor turned down a bit?

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
No such thing as a '75 cb350. Not in America, anyway. CB350 was replaced in 1974 by cb360. But it used the same front wheel as the '73 cb350.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Whickh caliper do you have? If it takes the EBC FA-69, that was available in several thicknesses to accommodate differing disc thicknesses. Otherwise, using thinner used pads should work, too.

Ken

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the caliper is off a 78' cb400t, and the rotor off that model would have worked but it was a five bolt pattern, and the new wheel im using is a four bolt rotor.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so can i take it to a car brake shop that does rotors? or do you think they'd tell me to go away haha.

is belt sanding the pads for now a terrible idea?

·
Registered
172 Posts
quote:Originally posted by txchainsawgogi

is belt sanding the pads for now a terrible idea?
How much are you talking about? A little bit shouldn't be a problem (a mm or so) if you keep them parallel.

Asbestos won't be an issue if you don't breathe while doing it.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Victor52b

Originally posted by txchainsawgogi

Asbestos won't be an issue if you don't breathe while doing it.
this is only true inasmuch as it is an impossibility. it is equally impossible to not breathe while sanding as it is to not suffer from contact with asbestos.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Asbestos is only a problem when fryable (airborne particulate). Common in asbestos removal is keeping it wet. Perhaps you could sand pads while wet, keeping the particulate from becoming airborne. I'm not recommending it, but I do know asbestos is still in use today, in applications where airborne particles are not an issue. It's a tricky question, but there's a fair bit of controversy regarding health risks of asbestos. I wouldn't do it myself (sand down brake pads) but I have 3 small ones running around my house. To find a compatible rotor seems a safer & more elegant solution.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i could wet sand these outdoors, with the pads and belt sander in a box...with clear plastic over the top and only my gloved hands pokin' through. i could even wear a gas mask during it.

thats the quick solution.

im also going to call around to see if meineke- type brake shops are even willing to touch a motorcycle rotor.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Take the rotor to a machine shop with a surface grinder.
Take nothing to knock off as much or as little as you want...

·
Registered
238 Posts
most older shops will have a small bench lathe specifically for doing rotors and drums for 'trueing them ... I would suspect most name brand places push the 'just replace it' motif

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thats the trouble with this town, we dont have any older shops that im aware of. its all big name guys. hopefully an austin member will see this post and correct me!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
being the first to do it to others, i love it when people call him out on shit!

however, in his defense, he humbly stands corrected when it's due. dude's got integrity. still wears women's shoes though.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Asbestos was outlawed in US in late 1980's,(I think around 1986?)

Unless you have real early brake pads they will have something else in there(bronze, Kevlar, etc)

I still wouldn't go breathing the dust though :D

It's not a good idea to widen caliper, why don't you re-dill rotor?
(admittedly it looks shite but you could make a cover plate to hide extra holes)

PJ

1 - 20 of 25 Posts