Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright come on guys, i'm at wits end with the brakes on my RD. i got my caliper seals in, installed them, took the bike for a ride....still dragging. so we took out the "anti-rattling" thingy's in there, had no drag at all on the stand, then i take it out....still dragging. so we figure now that it isn't in the caliper. the thing has a new steel braided line on it, so i highly doubt it is the line, and i mean all that leaves is the master cylinder. i took it off the bike but just was so fed up i didnt start tearing it apart. does anybody else have any other clues why this is happening??

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
how about showing several pix of the MC, pedal, linkages, and Caliper end from many angles and up close

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
You know...I'm having a similar problem with the front brake on Mary's 50 racer. MB5 forks and caliper, CR80 hub and disk. Worked great for a couple of years, now it's got a drag....I did freakin everything under the sun to this thing. Machined the caliper adapter to about .001 parallel, took out the anti rattle, cleaned the caliper inside and out, bled, checked the pads for parallelism etc etc. It does have a tiny bit of warp in the rotor.
So far the only thing I've done that's made a noticable difference is pulling the piston...yet again....and polishing it on the buffer...it had a few tiny rust pits that had been cleaned out long ago, but that seemed to be offering a tiny bit of resistance to the piston pull back when I released the lever. Better now...not perfect...whill need some bed in to find out if it's working right.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bleed back hole...will check that out. i did paint the caliper and everything when i had the thing apart...sounds plausible. THANK YOU!! hack...when i head back to the shop i MIGHT get those pics for you. i am however very nervous to send you many photos of my bike, lest you covet

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RATTY 550 IS MY HERO!!!! come to find out, the bleed back hole was completely clogged. i'm going to touch up the paint and road test tomorrow...will post my results! THANK YOU!!!!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
come on wussy

post some pix of that RD chopper

·
Registered
241 Posts
Did you guys pull the piston seal out of the caliper and clean the groove? Most all the older calipers I've taken apart have a lot of corrosion in the groove that affects the way the seal works with the piston. It's not always easy to see either. And it's sort of a little bitch to clean it out. Makes a pretty big difference to the way the caliper works though, even with the old used seal reused.

I'm sure you probably did that somewhere near step 27 - but I figured it's be wortht mentioning anyway.

Michael

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah michael, the first thing we thought it was was the caliper seal. i ordered the seals, waited a week to get them, polished the piston and installed them. we thought we had it fixed...and it wasnt it. but, hey, now i have a rebuilt caliper! LOL!! thanks for mentioning it though, you guys have all been a huge help, well, except hack. hey hack, im going to ride my chopper today!!! WAHOO!!!

·
Registered
854 Posts
now i will be honest i don't know to much about the RD front ends, i have been stuck in hondaland for a while. if it is a single piston front caliper it will slide on the mounting bolts. now if there is corrosion/paint in that mounting hole you won't get the proper slide and there is your drag. also when you hit the back of the caliper with a hammer (block of wood over it) does it free up? if so the issue is in your caliper.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it was on the back brake, and it was the bleed back hole. thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
do a foot clutch and jockey shift on it

how's it going with my chopper and are you tired of it yet?

I thought I would have already ridden it by now. ;-(

does this mean the brakes are working now?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts