Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1982 kz440a
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TrialsRider educated me on the fact that it's not a good idea to run a hose from the crankcase vent to the ground because it's going to suck a bunch of crud into the engine so while I was waiting for a kit to come in I built a catch bottle using parts from home depot:
Automotive lighting Gas Fluid Cylinder Auto part

I used a 1"x1/2"x1" pvc tee with a threaded cap on the bottom and a 1/2" plug to drain the oil. It works fine but I had some concerns about the temperature of the exhaust gasses that would pass thru it (pvc is only rated for 140 degrees) the other thing is pvc pipe is such a thick walled tube it has very little holding capacity to size ratio. Lastly, the total cost of buying all these fittings and the breather filter separately almost exceeded the cost of a professionally made unit. So it was a fun project, but I'm much happier with the aluminum can I got in the mail today. I mounted it to the frame with two hose clamps:
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system Wheel Tire

I will eventually weld a bracket so it bolts on. The whole setup with the filter was about 26$ on Amazon and it actually looks and feels like a very well-made unit.

·
Registered
1982 kz440a
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Be careful with that fitting that you used to hose clamp it to the frame. Mine broke very easily.

I ended up with large hose clamps around the canister to secure it to the frame.
Thank You for the heads up. I really wanted to weld a tab in place to screw it down, perhaps I should add a platform to support the weight from the bottom. BTW, does yours have two ports like mine? I used the one labelled "out" because it goes down through the canister before venting out the breather. Is ithis correct?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts