Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

During a 120 mile ride yesterday, I broke an exhaust stud on my CL350. Any suggestions on how to repair the stud? I was thinking of drilling it out and Heli-Coiling it, but I'm definately open to better suggestions.

--Cheers, Chris

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
I have heli-coil fixes on my dirtbike that have withstood the ages. I'd say that's probably ok.

I'd wonder why it broke in the first place - is the exhaust rubber mounted in the back?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
how about some pix so you may save many who have been there and done that

several keystrokes

yesterday was a tough one and I haven't had coffee yet

but I'm unable to equate a broken stud with automatically needing a helicoil

instead I"m kinda thinking get it out first and see how things look

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, the good news is that there is no pictures required. What happened was that the stud twisted (!) out of the head whilst riding. I think it happened when I opened her up on the highway (85mph; I think)Do I just go to Honda and order a new stud? Is there any tricks to installing it?

On a different note, I think I'm over-tightening the exhaust. I've cracked the old CL pipes twice and now had a stud vibrate out of the head. Surely this isn't health. So how tight is too tight? Should there be some flex in the system? I can rubber mount a support at the exhaust tip...

--Chris

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Lock tight the sucker in, everything else will go up in smoke.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was suprised when i learned that the exhaust stud on my cb 100 just threaded in. Just grabbed the broken one w/ vise grips and out it came. I bet a honda dealer could get your part, they would probably throw in a perplexed look when you asked for it too. My buddy said the young parts man at the dealer exclaimed that he didnt know honda made bikes before the '70s when asking for odd parts. Encouraging to hear you say you took your cl 350 for a 120 mile ride though! im looking forward to doing the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts