Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Fake.

There is a lot of discussion about this video out there and the overwhelming opinion is that it is fake.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the "landing" looks like a model airplane to me. Being that I fly R/C I have seen overpowered model airplanes come apart like that and be brought down to a relativley safe landing.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose anything can be faked. I know for a fact that a real planes (in this class) can be flown on the body alone much like was shown on the video and have over powered engine for their weight. I've seen this at airshows myself. If it's fake - its pretty well done - however - if it is real - the pilot certainly was cleaning out his pants after this.

BTW - I did see a video where an F15 in Israel had lost a wing and the pilot was able to land the plane - that one was real...

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
That's an RC plane. The physics are just too screwed up to be full size. Objects the size and mass of a real plane don't move like that.

And...if it was real it would have been on every news network in the country.

JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
besides, there would have been shit sticking out of the fuse for the flaps, ailerons, lights, etc etc etc.....

j

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
yes you can "hang on the prop" in an extra, you can even climb, but it would not behave that way.

You wanna see really cool airshow physicis defiance? The flying farmer used to fly a piper cub sideways at all the airshows I used to go to as a kid. Basically he gets up enoung speed, rocks the plane on the rudder, and before you know it the damn thing is flying at a 90 degree angle to the fuselage. It was always really impressive to see. actually the whole flying farmer routine was always a favorite of mine.

http://www.theflyingfarmer.com/

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

yes you can "hang on the prop" in an extra, you can even climb, but it would not behave that way.

You wanna see really cool airshow physicis defiance? The flying farmer used to fly a piper cub sideways at all the airshows I used to go to as a kid. Basically he gets up enoung speed, rocks the plane on the rudder, and before you know it the damn thing is flying at a 90 degree angle to the fuselage. It was always really impressive to see. actually the whole flying farmer routine was always a favorite of mine.

+1
There've been a few of these guys around for awhile. The stuff they do with a J3 is awesome. Slow and low. I've never flown a tail-dragger, but that'd be my first choice. Well, for a trainer anyway...there are some other tail-draggers I'd like to fly, like a DC3...

·
Registered
854 Posts
NO!! if its on the internet it MUST be true!!

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
if im not mistaken, dont those guys have variable pitch props to be able to do that full scale? and yes, i know that, but he said the plane can be flown on the body alone. which im guessing he meant the fuse. if they can be flown without wings, why have them???

whats cool is these arent variable pitch. ones a 4 stroke. guess they dont generate the torque. i see alot of aileron play though. first guy lands from a hoover. i remember the first hoover i saw, at the nats in toledo (we used to go every year) the guy had his kid walk out and grab the plane out of the air. that was probably around 1987.

at 140 he lands a hoover.

just sayin.....

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
quote:Originally posted by jbranson

quote:Originally posted by oneworden

NO!! if its on the internet it MUST be true!!
Well...you got a point there, now it's a case of irresitable force vs. immovable object :)

JohnnyB

i had that this morning. cup of coffee took care of it.:D

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Geeto
I think the Flying Farmer performed at the AHRMA round at Barber last year. He did the hick-stealing-a-plane act, barely getting it off the ground and landing it on the roof of a moving truck on the back straight at the track. Pretty wild watching that thing hang sideways, even to someone who doesn't know what it takes to fly like me

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
fake or not, it's still some nice work. Somebody is going to put that vid on their resume'.
as for the flyingfarmer, a tricked up STOL cub in the hands of a capable pilot is a hoot to watch (thanks- geet, I'd forgotten about that guy) especially the squared off pop over the tree line.
cheers, bcr

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
quote:Originally posted by FR

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

+1
There've been a few of these guys around for awhile. The stuff they do with a J3 is awesome. Slow and low. I've never flown a tail-dragger, but that'd be my first choice. Well, for a trainer anyway...there are some other tail-draggers I'd like to fly, like a DC3...
Stan Segalla does a Flying Farmer routine every Saturday and Sunday at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in Rhinebeck NY from June through October as well....

Jim

·
Registered
692 Posts
Pretty cool . Fake as fuck but pretty cool .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts