Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Spotted at an informal bike meet at my local pub,Bantam chassis, mono shock and twinshock, Ariel Arrow cylinders, RG500 bottom half, sounded mint, crazy

Attachments

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Anyone else notice two front calipers? Or cringe at the plumbing trap off the rear cylinders? I am sure the builder has good reason for going to all that work vs just moving the chambers back to make the length equal.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Anyone else notice two front calipers?
I did, but I have seen it before and didn't think anything of it. Think of it as a split 4 piston caliper.

Or cringe at the plumbing trap off the rear cylinders? I am sure the builder has good reason for going to all that work vs just moving the chambers back to make the length equal.
Go look at the nest of snakes in most racing snowmobiles if you really want to cringe. I think the point was to keep the bike narrow here instead of being wide around the seat. it's probably a 300lb bike at most and a stock bantam makes single digit hp so it isn't like he needs to squeeze every pony out of the corral.

I also noticed that he mounted the stand rollers where the passenger pegs on the arm were formerly mounted and yet it has a dual seat which lead to a reallf funny image in my head of a petit passenger with her arms and legs wrapped around the rider.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I'd ride it. Are the arrow heads one piece for each pair of jugs?
That rear suspension must either have some hella soft springs, or ride like a hardtail.
To me, it would be a cooler story if it was built a long time ago, rather than cobbled together in the past decade.
Kinda like Marc's Kawi featherbed is cool because it was built back when the featherbed was still one of the better handling frames out there, and somewhat plentiful, where now it would.be kind of a shame to see someone take apart a good Norton to stick a Jap motor In it.
Not to imply that I know when it was built, just stating which circumstance would be more interesting to me. Either way, I like it.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
actually you needed the technological revolution in machining to make this kind of thing more common. If done back in the day it would be substandard metal, at home slush casting, and machining your own crank by hand. now with accessibility to CNC and high tech computer modeling you can turn out two stroke crankshafts like so much sausage. even home sandcasting materials are much better than they ever were.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
This is true, Geeto. Substandard or not, though, older Frankenstein builds appeal to me more BECAUSE it would be so much harder to do with old technology. But yeah, as far as quality goes, modern technology would make this amalgamation a much better machine.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
just don't expect to see a lot of them around. this is why they make movies about Burt Munro, because it took an epic amount of work. I love stories about homemade stuff like the Ol Yeller race cars, or the vw conversion /2 bmws, but I don't think there are really that many surprises left lurking out there that aren't already on the internet in some way.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
just don't expect to see a lot of them around. this is why they make movies about Burt Munro, because it took an epic amount of work. I love stories about homemade stuff like the Ol Yeller race cars, or the vw conversion /2 bmws, but I don't think there are really that many surprises left lurking out there that aren't already on the internet in some way.
Don't know if I agree.
Before the web people didn't turn to it every time they took a dump.

So stuff just happened, and then it was over.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
pressed up 2 stroke crank wheels are fairly easy. After the first of the year I will be making a jig for pressing up a two cylinder crank in phase (assuming life doesnt get in the way). Perhaps some interest is here for that debacle to be documented?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts