Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a pic of the BSA 441 project that I mentioned as a New Years resolution. Don't be too critical, I mocked it up with stuff from the shed over a couple beers last fall. Mostly a '67 BSA 441 Victor, little Triumph Cub peanut tank, seat I kept from a basket case project I bought and sold. Gay clubmans, wanna fab my own rearsets. As for a color, anybody remember that kind of sage green Aston Martin used on their sports racers in the late 50's? Not quite BRG, a little lighter. A complete non-existance of cash at this point in my life (trying to get my business off the ground) will probably keep progress slow.

Leo

Edited by - leo on Jan 14 2008 08:49:38 AM

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Oh man, that thing's got all kinds of potential. Actually I like it pretty much just how it is. The cocktail shaker muffler is cool. And that tank is awesome...
Do it!

FR

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
No dags on this ride leo, she's sweet. Home brew manx with tons of character...quit apologizing and build it.
What about number plates?
bcr

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Number plates? Roger that, #17 has been in retirement too long. Gotta make some money first, would be a great write off for the business though, I've always wanted I.R.S. sponsorship.

Leo

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
leo,
I know funds are low to nonexistant but this ride does not look too far off and a hand painted 17 would look tastey. Minimally we've got to do a track day and run for a thumper class trophy. We'll handicap it for how many beers ya' bring. I know a guy in philly who could do a hella job. BTW I ran the numbers on the truimph. Motor is an early '69, frame is Dec. '69 both designated t100. I'm going through the carb and slapping a battery in it, see if it'll make some noise. gotta go and shovel some snow. cheers, bcr

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well if there is a thumper class trophy at stake, with a favorable beer handicap I can work to my advantage, then I guess I'd better get to work. Good luck with the t100, keep me posted.

Cheers- Leo

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sweet ass bike Dude!
Nothing on it that doesn't need to be just like it should!
Awesome seat and it flows with it very well.

Only thing I think it needs is a slightly larger fuel tank. that one just seems a little small for the rest of the bike.

http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5488

Edited by - coolatula on Jan 14 2008 8:12:45 PM

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
that tank is awesome. gorgous. perfect. im with fr here.

jc

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't know if the tank is as cool as Coolatula's but glad you guys are diggin' it. It is kinda tiny but with the seat I think it has pretty nice lines, especially for a bunch of hand me downs. As Keith Richards would say "a happy accident". Thanks for the kind words, just the kick in the ass you need to get you out to the shed in the middle of winter.

Cheers- Leo

·
Registered
326 Posts
quote:
Don't know if the tank is as cool as Coolatula's but glad you guys are diggin' it. It is kinda tiny but with the seat I think it has pretty nice lines, especially for a bunch of hand me downs. As Keith Richards would say "a happy accident". Thanks for the kind words, just the kick in the ass you need to get you out to the shed in the middle of winter.

Cheers- Leo
You can find a decent tank like mine,but with better chrome(mine has many small pits and a couple of small dents)for about $75.00+ and change the badges out. Chrome NOS/or like new Ace,Rat or Wombat tanks can bring $300.00+! I will say these Hodaka tanks have a nice classic look to them as is without any need to modify them.

My large gas cap tank is off a Wombat and it mounts right up which is great!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/coolatula/Picture_0657.jpg

If you don't mind de-rusting one,maybe fixing a few small dents and painting it you can find usable one for as cheap as $15-20.00 on ebay.
My old original one is in this sort of condition and I plan to use it(painted silver)for track days.

On later models they had some factory painted tanks of the same or close to the same shape if they weren't exact. Those may be harder to find in decent shape though if the bike/tank was left outside in the weather.

My Hodaka Ace 100 cafe/racer project:
http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5488

Edited by - coolatula on Jan 15 2008 7:42:45 PM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts