Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a set of BT46 Bridgies for the ol’ girl. I’ve been using the Pirelli Sport Demons and they’ve been OK. But I want to see what these will be like. They seem to have a more sport tire looking edge on the tread. The only issue I have is the front has two options, a V rated one and an H rated one. The V isn’t supposedly suited to tube use in the size I need, but the H rated one is not available. Honestly I don’t think the tires I’ve ever used were tube type tires, so I just rolled the ol dice. We’ll see how it goes.

Reactions: woodsman and jcw

·
Registered
871 Posts
ime, customers of mine who have gone from sport demons to bt45 (the old ones) were much, much happier. it actually surprised me that the sport demons seem to be that bad.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ime, customers of mine who have gone from sport demons to bt45 (the old ones) were much, much happier. it actually surprised me that the sport demons seem to be that bad.
The Demons aren’t bad. But they do wear uneven on the edge because the sipes go all the way to the edge. Probably not something most people would notice unless the were riding hard in the curves. 😏.
That’s something that the BT26s did on my old FZR race bikes back in the day. But they were cheap and half the cost of the Metzelers or Dunlops available. Then Metz came out with the Rensport and changed the game.
We’ll see. I should have them this weekend, but won’t be able to ride for a couple weeks due to work travel....

·
Administrator
281 Posts
I have had good luck with BT016 and BT021. The Battlax line was factory on GSXRs for a while. I found they did wear in the middle a little quicker than I expected though. Grip was good rain or shine

·
Registered
871 Posts
the only radials you can get in those sizes are the contis afaik. haven't had anyone fit any of them yet, they're a lot more expensive and i don't see many bikes with those size tyres.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BT46 is a bias ply isn't it? I bet they don't handle like radial ply tires.
I’d imagine they’d handle better than radials. 43 year old motorcycles and radials don’t tend to go together well.
Because of the stiffer carcass, I’d expect the bias plies to have a quicker initial turn in and less “squish” under braking. They probably would be less compliant at lean, but the extra side grip the radials give due to the ability to deform would also over power the spindly forks and chassis.

FYI, the Pirellis I’m replacing are bias ply, too.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Radial tires offer a larger foot print over bias ply tires. Thus has it always been.
Exactly. Which is why they are more sluggish at tip-in and also why they have better edge grip.

·
Administrator
214 Posts
I’d imagine they’d handle better than radials. 43 year old motorcycles and radials don’t tend to go together well.
Can't say that I agree. I ran a radial front tyre (Dunlop) and a bias ply on the back of my Ducati Dahmah 900 back in the 80's and was completely impressed with the performance of the radial - to the point that when the rear bias wore out - I replaced it with a radial. The lower profile and smaller, stiffer side wall of the radial greatly improved the front end.

It's not about the age of the bike, but the tyre technology.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts