Cafe Racer Forum banner
181 - 200 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Looks like the family are kicking in for a 3/4 cafe style front bullet cowl assembly. looks good to me but a step above my low budget build.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
A picture of the proposed fairing, I think it will help hide the sv frame a bid and give some wind protection.
I am just waiting for a invoice to be sent through for payment.
Automotive lighting Hood World Organism Automotive design

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Been replacing the duct tape sides on the tank so I have more idea how it's going to look blending the Honda NSR tank to the SV frame shape. I think is going well and will look really unique.
Tire Plant Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Some measuring and cutting and it's getting close to the final shape, so how about some feed back there is still a little room for change.
Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
I was thinking the tank looks a bit bulky still, but I don't want to reduce fuel volume and I do like it so "this is the shape", I can start the final welding and fitting the base of the tank.
The harley threaded fuel cap boss arrived but I won't weld it in till the cap arrives and I have checked they work together.
The fairing is all paid for so hopefully it will be here by the end of next week.

·
Registered
1979 XS750
112 Posts
You got a cool look going on there and still have enough gas to cruise. I’m excited about the fairing haha

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
Fairing has arrived pre painted dark gun metal grey. It is a snug fit just rubbing the frame each side (another 5mm would have been nice)
With a quick pre fit just sitting it over my head light, several things are apparent, I need to work out brackets and adapt the provided front bracket, volt meter and front brake res need moving. I think it will look better 40mm lower which means cut outs to clear the radiator. Wiring should reach but the indicators will need moving. Only down side is no fittings to fit the screen.
Wood Bicycle part Gas Electric blue Plastic
Automotive lighting Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thats looking good. Interesting evolution of this project.

How are you planning on getting the tank fuel tight?

Are you going to liner it or are you confident enough to weld it without pin holes?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
Thats looking good. Interesting evolution of this project.

How are you planning on getting the tank fuel tight?

Are you going to liner it or are you confident enough to weld it without pin holes?
I will only use sealer as a last resort.
I may be optimistic but I hoping the keep at the welds till all holes are filled. the front 1/3 is air box so that's not so critical.
I might try silica bronze to seal the bottom haft to the top to reduce possible distortion but means making a lap joint all the way round because a silica bronze but joint has no strength. Maybe as a final seal I could bronze on top of the welds.

I don't like deviating from the plan but the fairing is a after thought and I am now committed to have it as part of the finished project.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Fair enough. I have always had pin holes, but then again i am a distinctly average welder haha

Hope it comes out for you

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Fair enough. I have always had pin holes, but then again i am a distinctly average welder haha

Hope it comes out for you
I am less than average just persistent, so fingers crossed. My intake manifold had over a dozen pin holes to sort out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
Since I had been doing some plumbing using silicone sealant I didn't want to handle painted parts so today I decided to do removal of parts in preparation and sit the main fairing bracket on despite being made for another bike.
At first glance it appears to be about the correct height but need setting forward a bit which is goo as I need change the mounting to go over the brake lines not under.
View attachment 105587

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
The main thing is the bracket looks to be designed to mount at the top of the steering tube and the sv650 bracket mounts at the bottom under the ignition switch.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
looking good!
What's the paint scheme going to be again?

by the way, you need a better camera.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
looking good!
What's the paint scheme going to be again?

by the way, you need a better camera.
I'm going to black the frame and swing arm, and I do like the dark gun metal grey on the fairing so that maybe that's the main body/tank colour.
I am going to Tcut the camera lens and see if that helps

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
Fitted the head light in the fairing and removed my front indicator brackets which were stopping me getting the fairing low enough. also I have chopped the fairing support removing all of the part that mounts on the frame tube because it just wasn't going to work.

·
Registered
1979 XS750
112 Posts
Took me about 3 days to get my vetter fairing onto my vulcan. I about drove myself crazy taking it on and off and leveling and trimming and cutting... all that to say it’s gonna be worth it

181 - 200 of 203 Posts