Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
It appears to have less then half the rear wheel travel clearance of a normal sportbike. Not sure how you could ever stand that thing up on the rear wheel coming out of a corner under hard acceleration and not be dragging hard parts on the tire.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
No problems, it has min 100mm travel before the bump rubber, the shock is 330 mm instead 338 mm which lowered the frame approx 24mm and the custom rear frame lowered the seat, but the tray is on top of the frame and bowed up so thats an extra 20mm clearance. I was unsure if I would need put a spacer under the bump rubber but not even the rear fender (added for legality) has scraped. The static sag is 10mm and total sag is 35mm, spring rate i think was 510lb not much harder than the stock spring.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
P.S. performance is the goal if it proved a limitation I wound raise the seat frame. I have done about 600km on it pushing harder all the time and some has been on some terrible roads, fingers crossed no rubbing yet and I have kept the rubber side down.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Yes,
The 8mm shorter shock (I could not find a standard length fully adjustable shock I could afford) stole about 24-25mm But I am revisiting the standard dog bones I am running. If I run shorter dog bones I can regain the standard swing arm angle although the travel will not change.
However I am uncertain if the side effect of reducing head angle another 1 deg will be too much (that would be a total reduction of 2 1/4 deg from standard)

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Either he slammed the bike for appearances or it's not finished yet.
Build a set of adjustable dog bones, or several versions of various lengths to test.

... you didn't reduce the travel on the front forks did you? Please tell me you did not kill your front forks to make a low rider.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Fender has never rubbed.
Yes it is unfinished but still a lot of fun.
The seat is slammed more than anything. After making mock up dog bones yesterday 5mm shorter which raised the rear 21mm (still 6mm lower than standard) I am going ahead and making some real ones. then the front will be set wherever handling is best.
This is a massive change in geometry, I will keep you informed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Its quite common to run shocks up to 13mm(1/2") longer rear shocks on this model for performance applications that equates to approx 40 (bit over 1 1/2") higher rear I think (having not done this myself), and I am extrapolating the effective difference of mine will now be approximately 1" (25mm) with preload wound all the way out with 2cm of bike sag which I could reduce to 1cm,
Overall I could have an effective difference front /rear as little as 15mm.
Front like the rear has been set to 100mm to make this work I am running cartridge emulators, spring upgraded to achieve appropriate sag and 15w castrol oil and oil height was increase to create progressive bottoming if need.
So the front is purpose made not lowered and fingers crossed.
Of course I have to ride it and see how it goes with the latest planned change.but double checking the numbers. I am more confident it's all coming together.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Its quite common to run shocks up to 13mm(1/2") longer rear shocks on this model for performance applications that equates to approx 40 (bit over 1 1/2") higher rear I think (having not done this myself)...
So according to your calculations and earlier statement that the stocks have 100mm to bump stop, you have 300mm of rear wheel travel. That’s 12” of rear wheel travel. Unless you meant rear wheel travel when the shock hits the bump stop...

Nope... but i’m glad it works for you.
Linkage changes not only change ride height but also changes the effective force through the angles created in the linkage to change what the shock actually sees. Without extensive experience modifying the dog bone linkage or specific recommendations from the experts (likely somewhere on the sv forums) or a geometry suspension calculator it would be impossible to guess what spring rate needed you end up with.

The sv650 is probably the most worked out bike suspension wise. Your bike looks nothing like the track sv650’s. Yet you throw around numbers trying to justify your changes. If you want a great handling bike follow what hundreds have done before you.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts