Cafe Racer Forum banner
61 - 80 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
replace the yellow band iwp071 with the pink band iwp189 from a 1098, etc. 12 hole mist instead of single hole elephant piss.

do the injectors change position?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Its a mechanical system, fuel and air are mixed in and emitted from a spray bar which doubles as the throttle shaft.

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
replace the yellow band iwp071 with the pink band iwp189 from a 1098, etc. 12 hole mist instead of single hole elephant piss.

do the injectors change position?
I know the 999 guys talk about the 1098 injectors being an upgrade.
Honestly don't know if that would work here.
Yes the injectors move.
No fun in that
Quite now, adults are talking about actually making a bike better and more powerful.

Reactions: jcw

·
Registered
756 Posts
I had a blue 2001 SV, it was my only transport as I passed my bike test quite a few years before my car. The only mods were a fender extender as the road shit and water regularly made it straight into the front plug hole (SV "cafes" make me laugh with no or very short front mudguard(fender)) and the carbs were restricted by way if a couple of big washers as I was to young to ride anything with more than 33bhp, they lasted the time it took to ride home from the garage. I crashed this a couple if times bit sold it in good condition as I replaced most with new. Oh and the speed sensor broke in the collar which seized the front wheel, that wasn't fun.

I bought another SV a few years ago as a winter hack, red this time and not running well when I bought it. Fitted another fender extender, heated grips and cleaned out the carbs and she was good to go. Sold a month or two later when I realised I don't like the cold and wet anymore.

Not sure why you'd want to "café" one unless it was mangled beyond economic repair.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
The TB has only one gasket and it was leaking so I ordered some appropriate gasket paper from ebag but I couldn't wait so I made a Kellog's gasket.
Got it going, and was able to find with the fuel metering in the minimum position it is supplying enough fuel for 5000 rpm with no load. so being a mechanical system if I can mod it to close of more it should work. not surprising since its 150-200hp setup, I do have smaller ones but I want to give this a go first.

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
The TB has only one gasket and it was leaking so I ordered some appropriate gasket paper from ebag but I couldn't wait so I made a Kellog's gasket.
Got it going, and was able to find with the fuel metering in the minimum position it is supplying enough fuel for 5000 rpm with no load. so being a mechanical system if I can mod it to close of more it should work. not surprising since its 150-200hp setup, I do have smaller ones but I want to give this a go first.
What is the actually hell are you talking about?

Minimum position supplying fuel for 5k RPM? What?
Fueling under load is completely different then loaded.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
What is the actually hell are you talking about?

Minimum position supplying fuel for 5k RPM? What?
Fueling under load is completely different then loaded.
There is a groove running left shallow to right deep with the pick up arm sourcing fuel as far left as it goes it is still way rich but the grove keeps going and diminishing to the left so I need shave the pick up to take advantage of that.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
There is a groove running left shallow to right deep with the pick up arm sourcing fuel as far left as it goes it is still way rich but the grove keeps going and diminishing to the left so I need shave the pick up to take advantage of that.
View attachment 104005
If I understand this right and I'm not sure how that is even possible,
you are trying to make a butterfly valve open more then completely open. Go ahead and make it rotate further, maybe you will learn something, it's going to have the same effect as closing the throttle.

"150-200hp setup" no idea wtf that is about unless this thing has 2 engines and one of them we haven't seen yet.
You fitted a small pumper carb that looks suspiciously like it came off a single cylinder snowmobile onto twin cylinder motorcycle engine, it's not a performance improvement, what's the end game?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
"150-200hp setup" no idea wtf that is about unless this thing has 2 engines and one of them we haven't seen yet.
You fitted a small pumper carb that looks suspiciously like it came off a single cylinder snowmobile onto twin cylinder motorcycle engine, it's not a performance improvement, what's the end game?
[/QUOTE]
This was made to suit a 3.5 litre snowmobile.
But in the end, its part of an experiment to make a unique motorcycle, once checked on the dyno in mid January we will see if I have been successful, in the mean time I need to sort out the idle.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
edit: there was a picture of the Lake injector carburetor here, thats' the one that was mad partly out of wood. Two of those would work better for your application.

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
Since no baseline dyno was done, this is all extra stupid

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Just posting pictures on how it is going, the mods are racking up and it just getting better and better.
I have found someone to do the final tune on my single 1 5/8 fish carburettor conversion but the appointment is mid January. Then comes the custom fuel tank.
View attachment 103996
What are you going to do for a fuel pump, or do you plan to raise the fuel tank high enough on the bike to use gravity?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
The sv650 has a vacuum operated pump, it normally gets it's vacuum from the rear cylinder but now it will have twice as many pulses which may be an issue but I will try what I have first

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
The sv650 has a vacuum operated pump, it normally gets it's vacuum from the rear cylinder but now it will have twice as many pulses which may be an issue but I will try what I have first
It will never fly.

... you need positive fuel pressure to make that carb work, all the vacuum pump had to do was keep the float bowls fed with fuel. Fish carb originally had a solid copper fuel line connected to a very roughly 4psi mechanical fuel pump and pressure regulator for a reason, you have replaced that fuel line with a rubber tube and a tiny fuel filter pushed onto it, basically your fuel line can not handle any fuel pressure. The pulse pump on your bike only had to keep the fuel moving so it could spill into a float chamber that is not pressurized.

61 - 80 of 145 Posts