Cafe Racer Forum banner

81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
The point of all of this "work" is what again?

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reactions: TrialsRider

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Yes the fuel line and filter are temporary but what is not correct is, as long as there is sufficient fuel in the bowl a fish carburettor won't care what the fuel lines are made of or the pressure before the needle valve also the fuel level is not critical, within limits.
Can the OEM vacuum pump supply enough fuel when getting double pulses at 10000 rpm?
This one came off a Chevy six I don't know exactly what size it was.
I have used these with success on several cars but this is the first motorcycle.
I also have a identical set of 3 x 1 1/2" which cam from a museum Mopar six pack display from the 70's which was said the set would flow over 1000cfm. I have these as a standby if need be. I own over ten of these dating from the 50's to the 80's and all bar these 3 are different from each other.
So it will fly and I won't quit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
No, they are a after market "carburettor". The idea was, order your carb and one was pre-adjusted to suit your vehicle.
power gains over 20 percent at the time from just fitting one was common. They were first designed under Henry Ford's roof for the up coming ford V8 released 1932. But Ford decided there effort were better spent making cars not carburettors.

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
Yes the fuel line and filter are temporary but what is not correct is, as long as there is sufficient fuel in the bowl a fish carburettor won't care what the fuel lines are made of or the pressure before the needle valve also the fuel level is not critical, within limits.
You are atomizing fuel and the Fish carburetor was designed to operate on a vehicle that had a pressure regulated fuel pump, the design does not have an atmospheric pressure float bowl chamber, do your research, how could fuel delivery pressure not be of any consequence :unsure: Suit yourself but I bet you waste a whole bunch of time demonstrating that regulated fuel pressure is critical to that carburetors performance.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
No, they are a after market "carburettor". The idea was, order your carb and one was pre-adjusted to suit your vehicle.
power gains over 20 percent at the time from just fitting one was common. They were first designed under Henry Ford's roof for the up coming ford V8 released 1932. But Ford decided there effort were better spent making cars not carburettors.
I missed where you said it was a Fish.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I notched out the metering pickup,(to reduce the minimum fuel flow rate) but due to tight tolerances not much was gained.
I may have to live with a hi idle but the exhaust noise is way louder.(too loud a real surprise)
I will do some more fine adjustments and test rides tomorrow. but dyno tuning still won't happen till mid January)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Some interesting reading. Full History – Minnowfish Carb History
I have spoken to Bob Henderson the author in Scotland via phone, Who up to a couple of years ago produced minnow fish carburettors (the euro version for small cars) and custom setup cars on a dyno nearly everyday for years.
And David Visard a famous tuner loved using the Reece fish counterfeit version for euro cars

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
Keep in mind you are reading about ancient history, the technology of the time has very little relevance today, the Fish carburetor is no longer competing against 4 barrel gas guzzling cars that were shaped like a brick, and there really was a time when cars smelled like evaporating gasoline all the time from leaded fuel that was nothing like you will be burning now.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Should run a DCOE Weber. Now that would be interesting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Should run a DCOE Weber. Now that would be interesting.
When I did my apprenticeship tuning weber's and su's was my bread and butter and I do like both.
As I said David Visard liked the reece fish carbs and on the imp site there is dyno results on a mini showing a single
1 1/2" fish producing very similar results as a 40 dcoe 2 barrel, with each barrel larger by approx 2mm than the fish.

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
When I did my apprenticeship tuning weber's and su's was my bread and butter and I do like both.
As I said David Visard liked the reece fish carbs and on the imp site there is dyno results on a mini showing a single
1 1/2" fish producing very similar results as a 40 dcoe 2 barrel, with each barrel larger by approx 2mm than the fish.
bet he had a real fuel pump on it
Classic Austin Mini Fuel Pressure Regulator 4.5 To 9 Psi

81 - 100 of 128 Posts