Cafe Racer Forum banner
161 - 180 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Do you have any idea how the two different orientations affect fuel volume as you mentioned turning the air breather above? That may be a consideration as well.
I think I will lose some fuel volume but not much because much of the lost volume will be the air pocket at the top of the tank because in the latest picture the rear is above the filler. airbox volume won't change much at all.

·
Administrator
280 Posts
Since you are doing extensive tank work could you move the filler towards the rear? Maybe a flush mount so it doesn’t get in the way when you tuck down on the tank? You seem to be looking for options so I am just spit balling with you.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Since you are doing extensive tank work could you move the filler towards the rear? Maybe a flush mount so it doesn’t get in the way when you tuck down on the tank? You seem to be looking for options so I am just spit balling with you.
I have been thinking of cutting out the bar dents and mounting filters inside on the tank but I tend to let details unfold as I get there and I'm not quite there yet. I'll see what things look like tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Reactions: gt alex

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Getting there I think just 1cm (3/8") more drop over the seat and we are there I think, what do you all think am i missing something? I feels right

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
Arrived at last a honey come baffle. (like a cat without the catalyst coating)
Since the firs 6" of my megaphone muffler does nothing to quieten the sound level of the bike and I would like to keep the appearance of the old school muffler,
I thought this style of baffle may make use of that part of the muffler without introducing too much back pressure.
I have never used this style before so I will give it a go.
90mm long, flare 51mm, tube od 45mm, id 40mm at the celled section which is 50mm long

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
I was working out fuel capacity and a conservative estimate is about 12-13 litres.
I can live with that but I hope it's a bit more when all done.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
I was thinking of lowering the rear of the tank to get it as parallel as possible with the seat line but to get another litre in the tank I am raising the front and lengthening it about 20 mm, should make it about 13-5-14.5 which I am much happier with.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
A step closer, only thing stopping me from using it is the missing hose to run between the regulator and the welder.
Should some rubber fuel line do the trick?
I am thinking of mounting my little plasma cuter on the lower arm.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
I have started cutting out my final patterns for the tank and started thinking of paint.
I am thinking Frame and swing arm black base with dark blue candy over it.
Seat and tank Black gloss with a little metal flake and some sort of bright colour detail.
And a little less duct tape.
How does that sound to you all? Any better thoughts?

·
Registered
1979 XS750
104 Posts
I’m always a fan of metal flake and candy. I thought silver was always the base for a candy paint though:unsure:

·
Administrator
280 Posts
I’m liking the metal flake. I am wondering if the black base would make the candy blue look like dark blued gunmetal.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
I’m liking the metal flake. I am wondering if the black base would make the candy blue look like dark blued gunmetal.
I was thinking it would be a midnight black but my wife thinks red candy over black for a cherry effect.
Like I said, I can never make up my mind on colours.
I have a friend who sells the old school huge flake candy paints but I just can't imagine it

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
Just looking through my posts and I seem to have skipped lightening the fly wheel which I did on a friends lathe
So heres some more poor quality pics.

·
Registered
1979 XS750
104 Posts
Yes bad pics but looks like nice machining. Does a lighter flywheel help with faster revs? I know on 2 stroke dirtbikes they say put a heavier flywheel in for woods riding, helps to smooth the power.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
Yes bad pics but looks like nice machining. Does a lighter flywheel help with faster revs? I know on 2 stroke dirtbikes they say put a heavier flywheel in for woods riding, helps to smooth the power.
Research told me the crankshafts are the weakest part of the sv engine particularly shearing where the flywheel attaches.
This is fixed for the most part by lightening the flywheel.
And lighter rotational mass won't hurt, should rev faster. Honestly I couldn't tell the difference. Balanced it using roller skate bearings which worked well.
The flywheel was removed anyway so I could fit the offset key I had made.

161 - 180 of 180 Posts